We have a tremendous opportunity for a Consultant Medical Psychotherapist to join our thriving psychotherapy service, which has a wide variety of therapies employed to treat the City and Hackney population - one of diverse backgrounds and needs.
The service is an energetic combination of cognitive, psychodynamic individual/group, MBT, systemic, and trauma teams, and each team comes togetether regularly, mingles daily in our lovely building by Hackney City Farm - the Donald Winnicott Centre, opened by the great man's wife and located just behind the former hospital where he saw so many children.
As a service, we are both forward-looking and innovative when it comes to delivering therapy and consultation within wider mental health and community settings, and also rooted very firmly in the traditions of our individual disciplines. We also strive to bring different modes of thought together in our Assessment Workshops to create vivid and clinically apt formulations of patients to drive appropriate treatments (or decisions not to treat) forward. We are actively engaged in QI to improve our processes around assessment and outcomes. There is one substantive post at 8PAs for Medical Psychotherapy and an optional 2PAs for Neighbourhood team (primary care). We welcome candidates interested in less than full time (e.g. 6 PAs) or job share.Main duties of the job
- Contribute as a senior member of staff to service development within SPS, providing consultations, supervision, clinical leadership, strategic and operational planning, staff support, and a vision of how the service needs to develop
- Offer consultations, assessments & appropriate treatments to individuals referred with personality disorder & complex needs and contribute to the development of pathways for people with personality disorder and chronic mental health difficulties within a stepped care model, for patients in North/ South Hackney. This will include input into both the Psychodynamic and MBT programme and to the development of outreach
- Develop close links with Hackney Neighbourhoods through contributing to the training and supervision of the new workforce (personality disorder is an area of focus in the transformation). This may include consultations with service users, indirect support to teams, liaison, consultation and training to staff, reflective practice etc
- The post-holder will work with service users to develop & build on existing service user input to service delivery and development
- Supervise and coordinate the work of colleagues
- Maintain good existing relationships with the members of the psychological therapies alliance.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information please see attached job description and person specification. Please contact recruitment manager for further information on the role.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- MRCPsych or equivalent
- CCT in medical psychotherapy or qualification in psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Higher degree related to psychotherapy
- UKCP/BPC registration.
- Dual accreditation in general adult psychiatry, or other sub-specialty such as CAMHs, Forensic Psychiatry
- Accredited training in dynamic interpersonal therapy, cognitive analytic therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy, mentalisation based therapy, group analytic therapy, or systemic therapy
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Ability to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Formal leadership/management training
- Fully informed in recent developments in and the evidence base for psychotherapetuic treatment of a range of long term mental health conditions.
- An understanding of relevant Government guidelines, targets and legislation
- Fully informed in up to date developments in psychological treatments in the NHS, including service user input to service delivery & development.
- Assessment and treatment of a wide range of mental health and psychological disorders with evidence-based psychotherapy in a range of modes and settings (i.e. individual, group, couple, family).
- Assessment, consultation and treatment of service users with a range of severe personality disorder within evidence-based practice.
- Experience of consultation and liaison with mental health services and primary care in relation to service users with depression, anxiety, personality disorder and complex needs.
- Experience of contributing and/or leading on service planning, development and management
- Therapeutic Community experience.
- Psychodynamic/MBT/CAT/DBT/Schema-focussed/Group dynamic, systemic training & practice.
- Ability to deliver teaching to graduates and undergraduates in medical and non-medical disciplines
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience of providing psychotherapy supervision to junior medical staff and other disciplines and trainees.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Formal training in teaching methods
East London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
C& H AMH Medical
Donald Winnicott Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.