This is an exciting time for the Paediatric Emergency Departments within Sandwell & West Birmingham Trust as we prepare for the transition to the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital ( MMUH). You will have the opportunity to help shape the future direction of the department and take part in hospital wide initiatives to improve Emergency Care and the patient and carer experience.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to cover both the City & Sandwell Paediatric Emergency Departments until the move to MMUH in 2024.
You will provide leadership and direction to our dedicated Paediatric Emergency Department team and more widely will input your specialist knowledge and expertise to the emergency departments across both hospital sites and in preparation for MMUH.
As Matron you will have responsibility for the delivery of high quality, responsive, safe and effective care that improves patient outcomes and patient experience. Proven skills and a working knowledge of leading, and an ability to demonstrate excellent communications skills are required.
We are keen to hear from individuals who have experience at working at a senior nurse level within a Paediatric Emergency care environment and are keen to embrace change and provide visible nursing inspiration.Main duties of the job
As a Paediatric Matron for the Emergency Departments, you will be accountable for coordinating safe, high-quality care to improve the experience for children, young people and their families and careers for both sites. You will provide senior clinical and professional nursing leadership within the Emergency Medicine Directorate and manage a team of senior nurses, acting as a positive role model through the provision of effective professional leadership and the demonstration of competent, accountable clinical practice.
You will actively participate in the clinical and operational management of the department working collaboratively with the matron for the adult Emergency Department and paediatric inpatient services to ensure on-going service development and the delivery of exemplary care to children, young people and their families and carers.
You will lead the governance assurance framework for the Paediatric Emergency department and work alongside the governance, risk and patient safety teams within the trust to learn and strengthen clinical pathways.
You will lead the educational and training programmes for the Paediatric Emergency department across both sites, promote learning, professional curiosity and to hold others to account alongside guiding the activity of nursing, medical and other staff to ensure rapid assessment, treatment and ultimately transfer/discharge of children and young people.About us
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust (SWBT) is an integrated careorganisation with a budget of approximately �600 million and over 7,000 staff. Diversity and social care is at the core of what we do as the Trust provides Community and Acute Services to over half a million people in an urban centre that demands massive regeneration and has substantial premature mortality.
Our new acute hospital, the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital (MMUH), opens in 2024 and will provide care to our local population from first class, purpose-built premises.As a result, the base of this role may change to MMUH from 2024 (or beyond). If this is applicable to your role, you will be informed during the recruitment process and continuing your application with this understanding.The development of the new hospital will play an important role in the regeneration of the wider area and in improving the lives of local people and reducing health inequalities.
We have three newly emerging strategic objectives: Our People - to cultivate and sustain happy, productive and engaged staff Our Patients - to be good or outstanding in everything we do Our Population - to work seamlessly with our partners to improve live Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information regarding this role, please read our attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Held a senior (Band 7) role in an acute paediatric setting.
- Extensive post-graduate and post-competency experience working with children in a variety of settings
- Experience of managing and prioritising case-loads.
- Experience of working with assistants, students, newly qualified staff and others as appropriate
- Experience of participating in the delivery and development of training to a variety of recipients, both professional and nonprofessional.
- Experience of participating in clinical service development in response to local and national priorities involving research, audit and user feedback
- Experience of working with a variety of professionals
Management and LeadershipEssential
- Registered with NMC
- Possess specialist professional knowledge acquired through a degree or experience
- Master's degree or willing to undertake.
- Evidence of leadership or management qualification/study
- Up to date APLS/EPALs
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrates self as an inspirational lead figure who is passionate about patient safety
- Able to co-ordinate work program for a group of staff and supervise work performance and set objectives
- The ability to lead and communicate with a range of professionals and agencies to develop policies
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS TrustAddress
SWBH NHS Hospitals
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.