This newly created fixed term post seeks an experienced and motivated nurse to join our existing skin cancer nurse specialists and multidisciplinary team. The role ensures the delivery of a seamless pathway of care from diagnosis through surgery, rehabilitation, and, where necessary, to palliative care. Acting as Key Worker to assess and support the holistic needs of patients, relatives/carers whilst working within the specialist multidisciplinary team to deliver evidence based care.Main duties of the job
- This post will participate in the delivery of specialist nursing care for those undergoing surgical treatment for skin cancer on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
- To act as key worker for patients undergoing skin cancer treatment at QVH, their relatives and carers.
- Run Nurse Lead Clinic's
- To be a member of the multi-disciplinary team working to the achievement of evidence based care.
- Assist in the development and delivery of personalised care.
- Ensure seamless pathways of care.
- To be an educational resource for staff.
Rated GOOD overall with outstanding care by the CQC. A specialist NHS hospital providing life-changing reconstructive surgery, burns care and rehabilitation services across the South of England and beyond.
A centre of excellence, with an international reputation for pioneering advanced techniques and treatments. Everything we do is informed by our passion for providing the highest quality care and the best clinical outcomes.
At QVH we are proud of our achievements and our specialist services continue to record excellent clinical outcomes for patients. We regularly receive excellent results from patient satisfaction surveys and on average 98% of inpatients say they would recommend the hospital to their family or friends.
Our success is underpinned by the skills and enthusiasm of our staff and a strong culture of partnership. We are fully committed to training and development of the workforce with support for continuing education and learning.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Education and Training
- Act as Key Worker to provide specialist support to patients and their families / carers empowering them to participate in their treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provide a seamless pathway of care for patients diagnosed with skin cancer.
- Promote collaborative working relationships, multidisciplinary team working and effective communication between all members of the multidisciplinary team.
- To actively participate in MDT meetings and other inter-professional discussions.
- Communicate effectively to sensitively inform patients and their carer/families of cancer diagnoses. To discuss all treatments for skin cancer.
- Where appropriate act in the role of advocate in order to enable patients to make informed decisions.
- Provide both written and verbal information to assist patients, their families and carers in treatment decision making.
- Undertake holistic patient assessments and care planning to meet the individual patient needs.
- Participate in the development and creation of treatment summaries.
- Provide emotional and psychological support to patients, identify make appropriate onward referrals for specialist psychological support.
- Liaise with other specialist nurses and healthcare professionals to provide optimum patient care and ensuring high quality care coordination, referring where necessary to services both internally and externally to the Trust.
- Run a Nurse Lead Clinic's.
- Act as a point of contact for referring centres, ensuring and taking responsibilities for the dissemination of information and feedback where appropriate.
- To respect the patients right to confidentiality, acknowledging also the families/carers needs which may at times conflict with those of the patient.
- Act as a resource to educate appropriate staff groups on an ongoing basis developing and empowering staff to give consistent and standardised approach of care by providing clinical advice in the specialist area.
- Contribute to the mentorship of students and new staff to the Trust.
- Organise, develop and contribute to educational and training events for both staff and patients/carers in the specialty of skin cancer.
- Act in accordance with the NMC Code at all times, maintain clinical expertise and knowledge and professional revalidation.
- Contribute to the achievement of corporate nursing objectives, participating in organisational and professional activities as appropriate.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regard to patient information.
- Maintain accurate, written clinical records using Trust systems.
- Adherence to all Trust policies and procedures.
- Ensure that Quality Assurance requirements are met.
- Initiate and participate in audit and collaborative projects, assisting the implementation of proven recommendations to ensure nursing practice is evidence based, drawing upon recent literature to improve quality of care. Disseminating results to clinical colleagues, the MDT and any relevant personnel.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies for skin cancer treatments and patient pathways within the specialist field.
- In all aspects of work demonstrate and ability to work across organisational and professional boundaries.
- To identify requirements to enable the post holder to carry out and develop this specialist role.
- To maintain accurate data / information relating to the clinical service which will profile the service and inform its future strategic developments.
- Organise own workload ensuring it reflects all elements of the role.
- Communicate effectively with clinicians, departments, wards, MDT to facilitate high quality patient care.
- Current NMC registration
- Nursing degree
- Masters Qualification in relevant subject or able to demonstrate specialist knowledge within this field through practical experience
- Relevant nursing modules to the role
- Significant clinical experience in plastic surgery, dermatology, oncology or palliative care
- Advance communication training
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of the skin cancer pathway
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.