Paediatric Junior Sister - Band 6 - Full & Part time opportunities
(37.5 hours / 22.5 hours)
There is an exciting opportunity for a Band 6 to join our friendly team or a one year fixed contract to cover maternity leave at Epsom Paediatric ED with requirement to work across any other Trust site as required. We have in house Paediatric Crisis SIM courses and opportunities to attend APLS and other relevant SDs.Main duties of the job
o will be professionally accountable for their standards of professional practice as set by the NMC Code of Professional Standards of practice and behaviour and relevant professional guidelineso will undertake the nurse in charge role for the departmento will supervise, support and educate other team members, including nursing and medical students o will ensure safe and effective clinical practice and enhance patient experience.o will ensure the promotion and implementation of trust policies and the effective delivery of organisational objectives.o will promote the Trusts' visions, values and divisional objectivesAbout us
The Trust's mission is 'to put the patient first and deliver great care to every patient, every day'. Our priorities are to create a one team, one trust culture and focus on the delivery of the following five objectives to ensure we provide high quality, compassionate care to all of our patients:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Delivering safe and effective care across our sites
- Creating a positive experience that meets the expectations of our patients, their families and carers
- Providing responsive care that delivers the right treatment, in the right place at the right time
- Being financially sustainable
- Working in partnership with our patients, commissioners, other health and care providers, local authorities, the voluntary sector, the NHS TDA, NHS England and Monitor in the interests of our patients and a sustainable local health and social care economy.
Person Specificationcore skillsEssential
- Ensure high quality clinical practice is undertaken, based on the current nursing/medical evidence base
- Promote the effective and safe flow of patients through the department
- Advise on the promotion of health and prevention of illness
- To advocate for children and families as required using professional expertise, knowledge and judgement
- Observe changes in patients attitude, behaviour and emotional state, physiological observations and report/escalate findings other the relevant health care professionals
- To achieve and maintain clinical skills and competencies specific to the post / department / role, including triage, venepunture, intravenous cannulation, ECG monitoring, NG tube insertion and administration of IV fluids, medications and blood components.
- Recognise and acts to avoid situations that may be detrimental to the health and wellbeing of patients, escalating to Paediatric ED Nursing Manager (Band 7), HoN/ADoN as required.
- Have responsibility for the correct administration and custody of medicines according to the Trust Policy to include the safe administration of intravenous drugs, transfusion of blood and blood products where this is a requirement of the clinical area.
- Ensure effective and efficient patients journey by supervising the planning and coordination of the admissions / discharges, episode of care including the smooth transition to other settings, promoting safe and effective discharge and optimising communication with multi-professional and interagency teams as required.
- Ensure patient feedback is encouraged and utilised to improve patient experience
- Safely administer medication under patient group directives
- Safely triage and escalate care for children and young people attending the department, with continuing assessment and evaluation during their stay.
- Undertake pain assessments and evaluation of interventions.
- Works in collaboration with clinical colleagues, safeguarding teams and external partners to safeguard children and young people
- Follows current infection control advice and guidance, seeking specialist support as required
- Registered Nurse - Child (RSCN/RNC) with current NMC registration
- Be able to demonstrate experience within an acute or emergency Paediatric setting
- oWithin an acute or emergency Paediatric setting Experience of effective shift coordination, management of patient care, staffing + resources
- Module in relevant specialist area e.g. children's emergency nursing module and Degree (or working towards) in relevant health subject
- Experience of Paediatric emergency nursing at a Band 5
- mentorship, teaching and assessing
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Advanced competency in nursing skills, e.g. triage and assessment, plastering, IV competency, central line management
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Paediatric ED, Epsom Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.