We are seeking a consultant psychiatrist to join the Mental Health Care of Older Persons Community Mental Health Team in Newham. This is an opportunity to join a well established and high performing service. The post-holder will work alongside substantive consultant colleagues in the CMHT and diagnostic memory clinic to deliver high quality care to older persons in the borough.
Newham also hosts a WHO Collaborating Centre (the only one specifically for Mental Health Service Development in the world) and the successful applicant will have opportunities for academic links with the Centre, and its large research group in social psychiatry and global mental health. The option for job planned time for research activity will be actively considered. The successful candidate will also be enrolled on the Trusts highly regarded Improvement Science in Action training and will be encouraged to contribute to our unique Quality Improvement programme.Main duties of the job
To take the overall clinical responsibility for their sector patients and to review patients regularly together with the multi-disciplinary team.
To provide comprehensive assessment, diagnosis and medical management of patients, by delivering the following interventions:
- Initial clinical goals and treatment setting, taking into account patients' capabilities, strengths and resilience
- Mental state examination
- Clinical diagnosis
- Initiation and reviews of pharmacological treatments
- To lead multi-disciplinary assessment, formulation and management of individual's risk.
- Physical health assessments
- Referrals to other services (medical referrals, diagnostic tests, forensic services)
- Liaison with GP, community and forensic services.
- Reviews of clinical progress and care plans
- Assessment of readiness for transfer to less restrictive setting and discharge planning.
- Safeguarding planning processes
- Consultation and liaison with families and carers.
- Liaison with the criminal justice system, police, Courts and probation when required for the care and management of patients.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisationsJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see JD (Job Description) and PS (Personal Specification) for full details of role requirements.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Fully registered with the General Medical Council
- On the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of eligibility to apply.
- Approval under Section 12(2) of Mental Health Act 1983 and Approved Clinician status, or eligible to apply once in post.
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Higher training in approved training posts for minimum of 3 years and / or previous consultant training.
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- CCT in old age psychiatry
- Experience of clinical work in Old Age Psychiatry at ST4-6 or Consultant level within the last 3 years
- Excellent working knowledge and experience of the application of the Mental Health Act
- Appreciation and understanding of ethnic minority issues and a commitment to developing culturally sensitive practices
- Experience of service development and introducing new services in mental health
- Knowledge & experience of recovery-informed service delivery and working with patients as experts by experience
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work as a part of multidisciplinary, multi-model team
- Ability to manage complex workloads and support others to do that
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Formal leadership and management training
- Experience of team /service leadership
- Experience of providing reflective practice to the teams
East London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
First Avenue Resource Centre,
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.