We are delighted to be advertising this fixed-term opportunity in our adult acute team to cover maternity leave. This post is ideal for an experienced SLT who is passionate about the care of patients and their carers, and has skills in training and supporting staff. The post-holder will need to work closely with the wider SLT team, MDT and beyond.UHS offers fantastic training and development giving you the best possible opportunities to achieve the career you want. Development of our staff is central to the delivery of high quality, safe and effective care. We can offer opportunities to develop within a supportive environment.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The department of dietetics and speech and language therapy employs approximately 100 staff, with clinical experts working across the range of specialties, providing acute services in both adults and paediatrics. As a tertiary hospital, we have senior SLTs in a wide range of specialist areas. There is access to regular CPD sessions, and opportunities to engage in service development and research.
If you are the successful candidate, you will:
- Work as part of the acute SLT team.
- Provide regular communication and swallowing assessment and therapy to patients with complex needs.
- Represent the SLT service within Respiratory and other relevant clinical areas.
- Be innovative in your approach to patient care and service delivery, whilst being part of MDT service initiatives.
- Work seamlessly with the senior acute SLT team.
- Contribute to instrumental assessment of their patients swallowing e.g. FEES, and provide supervision and training of SLT team members.
- Provide training to MDT colleagues within UHS and beyond.
If you are:
Person SpecificationQualifications, knowledge and experienceEssential
- experienced in working with patients with complex communication and swallowing difficulties,
- skilled in using instrumental assessments e.g. FEES and/or VF,
- experienced in supervising and educating others,
- experienced in representing SLT in an MDT setting, and effectively advocating for patients needs,
- experienced and skilled in working in a fast-paced environment, and
- experienced in planning, delivering and evaluating clinical audits, service evaluations and/or research
- Degree or equivalent in Speech and Language Therapy
- Masters level qualification or equivalent experience
- HCPC (Health and Care professions Council) registered speech and language therapist
- Evidence of commitment to relevant ongoing CPD and development in relevant areas
- Evidence of relevant speech and language therapy knowledge and expertise with recent experience demonstrating this
- Evidence of post-graduate training in relevant speciality
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience and involvement with training
- Ability to communicate complex information fluently, confidently and effectively to a diverse range of people: e.g. with patients, carers, managers and other health care professionals
- Ability to demonstrate a practical and sensitive approach and flexibility in working style when applying clinical judgement to complex clinical issues
- Ability to create rapport and professionally manage relationships with colleagues, patients and carers and the emotional challenges this presents
- Member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and relevant specialist groups
- Experience of leading or co-ordinating audit or research work
- Clinical supervisory skills training
- Presentation skills
- Microsoft Office skills
- Organisational skills
- Advanced analytical thinking
- Keyboard skills
- Numeracy skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Southampton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.