We are looking for a compassionate, collaborative and values driven leader to join us as our new Head of Dietetics and Speech and Language Therapy, leading our brilliant dietetic and SLT service teams working across inpatients, outpatients and community services.
Managing a large dietetic and SLT service team of around 115 staff, you will lead on strategy, planning and budgetary control with your internal and external stakeholders, ensuring the operational delivery of safe and clinically effective services. You will also lead on key areas of change, including the use of digital and technology, to ultimately develop a world class dietetic and SLT service.
With your excellent communication skills, your focus will be on collaboration and compassionate leadership you will work across UHS, and beyond, to ensure our services are meeting the demands of our patients and system stakeholders.
Importantly, you will live and breathe our values, working with your immediate teams and wider leaders within the organisation to promote, engage and support diversity of talent, dietetic and SLT expertise and innovation. You will inspire, develop and support every one of us to live our values every patient, every colleague, every day.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Be a qualified dietetics, speech and language therapist with current registration with the Health and Care Professions Council
Lead the strategic development and financial controls of our high quality, patient focused dietetics and speech and language therapy service
Take the leading role in developing services to meet the changing clinical demands of the communities we serve
Act as a senior professional lead for all our dietetics and SLT colleagues, working collegiately across our division and representing the service with senior colleagues and stakeholders in UHS and in our integrated care system
Demonstrate your compassionate, collaborative and values driven leadership style, building positive and long-term professional partnerships.
What were looking for:
With your senior clinical leadership experience as a qualified dietitian or speech and language therapist - you will have held budget responsibility and led a clinical service working in multi-disciplinary teams, in organisations of scale and operational complexity
A demonstrable understanding of the role of dietetics or speech and language therapy services within the current evolving health environment - and a track record of leading on clinical governance.
A compassionate and collaborative leader who can influence and deliver change and work collegiately with key stakeholders across our Trust - and in our wider health and social care system
You will be a supportive manager who can engage, empower and support career growth in your teams
Whats key is that you listen, are patient and resilient and are passionate about our values: Patients First, Working Together, Always Improving.
Next StepsIf you would like an informal conversation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Online panel interviews and stakeholder sessions are planned forMonday 11th December 2023.
Closing date is 27th November 2023Person SpecificationQualifications, knowledge and experienceEssential
- Degree in a relevant field ie Dietetics, Speech and Language Therapy or equivalent
- Postgraduate training to Masters Level or equivalent senior level experience
- Current Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council
- Leadership qualification and/or ability to demonstrate leadership principles and practice
- Demonstrable management experience within a large and complex organisation
- Clinical skills at a senior level as a qualified Dietitian or speech and language therapist
- Up to date clinical practice
- Experience working in a senior position either clinically or managerially
- Previous experience of budgetary management. Ability to seek funding where appropriate including bid applications.
- Evidence of strong leadership and team-working skills
- Evidence of managing/facilitating change/redesign in a health care setting with a successful outcome.
- Continued Professional Development Portfolio including evidence of reflective practice, training, courses attended, and clinical experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of dietetics and SLT services within the current evolving health environment.
- In-depth understanding of all aspects of Clinical Governance including previous experience of quality issues, risk management and management of complaints.
- Expert level of relevant clinical specialist knowledge.
Skills and competenciesEssential
- Previous experience as Professional Lead in a teaching hospital environment.
- Presentation and teaching skills
- Time management
- Budget management
- Interpersonal skills
- Change management
- Data analysis
- Networking skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Southampton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.