An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Medicines Management Dietitian to join the Allied Health Professionals collaborative in PTHB funded from Primary Care Development Funds with the aim of improving health outcomes in the community. This post would suit a motivated and dynamic dietitian keen to develop professionally and able to influence and persuade stakeholders, and would manage a caseload appropriate to the role.
Operationally accountable to Head of Pharmacy, and working to support and train AHPs, GPs and the nursing community, the post holder will also enjoy working alongside a growing dietetic team.
The post holder will support Professional Head of Dietetics with development of wider professional and AHP strategy in Wales and contribute to Strategic Programme for Primary Care (SPPC).
Development towards becoming an Advanced Practitioner (AP) and ACBS prescriber would be supported, and training needs will be overseen by the Head of Dietetics to whom the post holder will be professionally accountable.
The location of this post is flexible dependent on the candidate's ability to integrate collaboratively, undertake clinical work, and supported by PTHB's digital investment enabling some remote working. Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will have a keen focus on optimising spend on nutritional and pharmaceutical prescribing to promote public health, limit need for urgent care, and better manage medical conditions at home. The following are areas of anticipated focus and will be driven by evolving need overseen by Head of Pharmacy.
- Scrutiny and advice to AHPs/ Primary care/ pharmacists on appropriate prescribing of oral nutritional supplements (ONS) to limit frailty
- Work with Head of Dietetics to oversee the Home Enteral feeding contract to optimise nutrition support to adults and children
- Develop Inpatient ONS pathways to support early nutrition screening (WAASP) and discharges
- Appropriate prescribing of infant milks as part of Cows Milk Allergy Pathway
- Review of supplements/ thickeners used in dysphagia management
- Consideration of prescription of Creon in for pancreatic conditions
- Consideration of use of phosphate binders for renal patients
- Appropriate prescribing of gluten free products to support Coeliac Disease
- Develop links with secondary care supporting a consistent supplement/ feeds approach for patient journeys
- Develop links with GPs/ pharmacists to support audit, education and training on appropriate prescribing using shared IT eg Forefront
- Lead medicines management prescribing strategies such as incentive schemes and formulary packages
- Engage with product manufactures to drive pricing and reduce pharmacy spend
Being the smallest Heath Board in Wales means that you won't get lost in the crowd. Everybody at Powys Teaching Health Board is valued for the contribution they make to our varied and diverse portfolio of community-based services. Together, we can continue to make a real difference to our patients and build on our unrivalled reputation.
As a supportive and progressive employer, we actively encourage you to carve out a career with us, through a range of development pathways. We're also lucky enough to be situated in one of the most beautiful rural counties in Britain, let alone Wales! Achieving a healthy 'life work' balance is essential, and something we recognise by prioritising your well-being.
To start your journey with us, and to learn more about what we can offer you please visit: https://pthb.nhs.wales/working-for-us/. There you will find information about our benefits and values, read staff experiences and more about what our beautiful county has to offer.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- HCPC Registered Dietician
- Recognised qualification degree / equivalent in Dietetics
- Accredited study to Masters level or experience
- Knowledge of project principles, techniques, and tools, such as PRINCE 2 Foundation and Microsoft Project
- Knowledge of financial systems e.g., monitoring budget management, EPACT.net prescribing data
- Experience of working alongside Pharmacists, GPs supporting Medicines Management and clinical pathways
- Advanced skills in the assessment and evidence-based treatment of patients with nutrition-related disease
- Experience of leadership and service transformation
- Delegation and supervision skills
- Experience in service development / improvement / audit and managing risk
- Evidence of critical appraisal, analytical thought/audit, and research methodology
Aptitiudes and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of monitoring budgets
- Experience working across acute and community care
Desirable ValuesEssential OtherEssential
- Ability to plan, lead, inspire team to meet conflicting priorities
- Proficient in the use of digital programmes and platforms e.g., Microsoft TEAMS
- Well-developed critical appraisal and analytical skills
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills at all levels to build effective relationships with key stakeholders, MDTs and AHPs
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to work within teams and autonomously
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to travel across a number of sites throughout Powys
- Able to work flexibly according to the changing needs of the service
Powys Teaching Health BoardAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.