Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health Newham, East London Occupational Therapist Band 7
The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health is an in-patient unit for young people aged between 13-18 years with acute mental health problems and complex mental health needs. The unit is comprised of a twelve bedded Acute in-patient ward, a fourteen bedded Psychiatric intensive care unit and six full time places in the Day service. The Coborn centre has an extensive AHP offer with Occupational Therapy, Psychology, Art and Drama Therapy, Family Therapy, Education and other Nursing MDT at the core of our interventions. It is an exceptional place to be that goes over and beyond to meet the needs of the young people and their families, providing a truly bespoke service. What we would like
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Band 7 Occupational Therapist who has good clinical and leadership skills to join our service and work alongside the MDT in our PICU provision-Galaxy Ward.Main duties of the job
The role will require skills in managing a highly complex caseload of young people with highly complex needs as well as lead the Occupational Therapy Team alongside the operational management team. This post would suit an Occupational Therapist who has specialist experience and skills in the mental health field and enjoys working with young people. This post offers you the opportunity to develop and shape a service and other clinical pathways that offer young people and their families an exceptional standard of care. We would like the person in post to be continuously improving the service. It is a full-time post with flexible working arrangements. What you can look forward to
The post will offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative specialist service, which encourages learning and self-development. We offer regular formal and informal supervision to support you to develop your management and clinical skills. We offer opportunities to be involved in QI projects, research within the OT field, to build on leadership skills and manage a team.About us
You will have the opportunity to experience managing an Occupational Therapy Team alongside the Lead Occupational Therapist and the head OT. The Band 7 will be offered training in using specialist Occupational Therapy assessment tools and plan the training needs for the Occupational Therapy team. The Band 7 will have opportunities to work collaboratively with an experienced multi-disciplinary team to plan young people's care.
For an informal discussion, please contact Evangelia Theochari, Head Occupational Therapist at 'The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health' Tel: 020 7540 6789.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
We are a passionate team, with more than 50 years of experience between us. We work together to achieve the outcomes needed for our young people and their families and will go over and above the line of duty to make sure that our young people have a safe, caring and bespoke package of care regardless of their challenges. We nurture co-production and an ethos that is based on honesty, dedication, tenacity and purpose. Do come along to visit us. Our Service Statement:
Occupational therapy for adolescents in mental health is the art and science that uses meaningful activity and group work as a medium to empower young people to build up an occupational identity. This is achieved through maximising their independence in defining own roles, making life choices and engaging in productivity, leisure and self-care occupations that lead to personal success. Our Mission Statement
: To provide an Occupational Therapy Service at the Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental health that is collaborative, inclusive, equal and purposeful for every young person from the point of admission to the point of discharge. Our Vision
: To empower our young people to want to take the journey of recovery and self-discovery through purposeful engagement, goal-orientated and solution focused OT Interventions. Occupational therapy Service at the Coborn
Currently, the OT service at the Coborn centre consists of:
- four Band 3 OT Assistants (4 WTE)
- One Band 4 Sports Therapist (22hrs)
- One permanent Bank Sports Instructor (0.6 WTE)
- One Band 6 Rotational OT (1 WTE)
- One Band 7 OT (1 WTE Galaxy/PICU)
- One Band 8a Lead OT (0.6 WTE)
- One Band 8b Head of OT Service (1 WTE)
This is a team of highly specialised professionals who are more than happy to share their experiences and nurture the next Occupational therapists.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- Degree or equivalent in Occupational Therapy
- State Registration.
- Member of the British Association of Occupational Therapy.
- Experience at a senior OT level, Band 6, in a clinical mental health setting and or demonstrates experience in relevant field.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Experience of developing a service or aspect of service
- To have acquired specialist professional knowledge within the field of Occupational Therapy in Mental
- To have highly developed specialist occupational, vocational and sensory assessment skills.
- To have highly developed specialist clinical skills to carry out therapeutic and activity based interventions remedial training and cognitive rehabilitation, behavioural interventions and psychosocial and psycho-educational interventions.
- To have highly developed specialist health promotion and rehabilitation skills in order to promote social inclusion and prevent relapse and hospitalisation.
- To have highly developed interpersonal skills enabling therapeutic alliances to be developed and maintained with clients who have complex mental health needs.
- Ability to apply highly specialist interpersonal and communication skills in both individual and group therapeutic interventions with clients with severely challenging behaviour and where there are significant communication barriers.
- Ability to use the highest level of interpersonal and communication skills in hostile or highly emotive atmospheres both clinically and with staff.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- To have highly developed specialist knowledge of applied social, health, and medical sciences including psychology, anatomy, physiology and sociology.
- To have highly developed specialist knowledge of mental health difficulties and their impact upon functioning and performance.
- To have highly developed specialist knowledge pertaining to the development of the Psychiatric Intensive Care units in Adult Mental Health in the following areas -clinical, research and development.
- To have knowledge of current National legislation, policies and guidelines. (Mental Health Act 1983 Social Inclusion Unit Policy, National service Framework for Mental Health).
East London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Coborn centre for Adolescent mental health
Glen Road, Cherry Tree Way (behind Newham Centre for Mental Health)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.