As a Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist working for Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust you will be responsible for ensuring that our service users' needs are met through the delivery of high quality care.
As a leader of the inpatient multi-disciplinary team at Kingsley ward, Hollins Park Hospital, you will provide clinical care to older adults who require specialist inpatient care.
You will work closely with a wide range of clinical and professional disciplines in order to deliver holistic care by completing assessments of new admissions to Kingsley ward and managing their treatment and ensuring safe discharges back to the community.Main duties of the job
The post holder will be responsible for completing assessments and formulating treatment plans for service users admitted to Kingsley ward from the community. Kingsley ward is a 16 bedded organic older adult complex care ward at Hollins Park Hospital.
As a substantive Old Age Psychiatry Consultant on Kingsley ward you will work closely with other members of the multidisciplinary team i You will be the Responsible Clinician for patients admitted to Kingsley ward and this will invariably mean managing patients who have been detained under the Mental Health Act and therefore the post holder will require a sound knowledge of Mental Health Act law. This will include completing relevant mental health act documentation and completing capacity assessments as required.
The post holder will be expected to lead the multidisciplinary team at Kingsley ward in an enthusiastic, supportive and approachable manner in order to foster positive working relationships and morale of ward staff. The post holder will complete ward rounds throughout the week and provide clear communication and documentation in relation to assessment outcomes and management plans. They will also be expected to provide leadership and training to trainee doctors and medical students placed on Kingsley ward. They will take an active part in the clinical work of the team and a lead role in the development of the service.About us
Mersey Care is one of the largest trusts providing physical health and mental health services in the North West, serving more than 11 million people.
We offer specialist inpatient and community services that support physical and mental health and specialist inpatient mental health, learning disability, addiction and brain injury services. Mersey Care is one of only three trusts in the UK that offer high secure mental health facilities.
At the heart of all we do is our commitment to 'perfect care' - care that is safe, effective, positively experienced, timely, equitable and efficient. We support our staff to do the best job they can and work alongside service users, their families, and carers to design and develop future services together. We're currently delivering a programme of organisational and service transformation to significantly improve the quality of the services we provide and safely reduce cost as we do so.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Regular reviews of inpatients to monitor the response to treatments will be required and the post holder will operate within multi-disciplinary integrated and co-located teams, which including Health staff and Social services staff. They will be expected to liaise closely with Social Services in order to ensure safe and timely discharge planning of inpatients and communicate promptly to primary care services by providing discharge summaries.
The post holder will be responsible for the overall assessment, management and safe discharge planning of inpatients on Kingsley ward, working closely with other members of the multidisciplinary team including Social Services, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Primary Care.
The team composition is as follows:
Please see job description for further details.Person SpecificationRegistrationEssential
- 1 x Consultant Psychiatrist
- 1 x Ward manager
- 2 x Junior doctors (FY1 and FY2)
- 2 x Deputy ward managers
- 10 x Registered nurses
- 1 x Falls prevention lead
- 1 x Part time Senior Occupational Therapist
- 1 x Occupational Therapist (rotational)
- 16 x Health Care assistants
- 1 x Activity Co-ordinator
- 1 x Housekeeper
- 1 x Ward Clerk
- 1 x Receptionist/admin
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- Inclusion on or eligible for inclusion on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council or within 6 months of CCST/CCT or equivalent in Old age Psychiatry at date of interview
- Section 12 (2) Approval + Approved Clinician Status or demonstrated ability to gain approval
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Holds valid UK driving licence and will use own car for work related travel OR provides evidence of proposed alternative
- MbChb, MBBS or equivalent
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent
- 3 years higher professional training in Old age psychiatry
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Additional Qualifications
- Excellent clinical knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
Academic Skills & Lifelong learningEssential
- Experience in working previously in similar roles at a relevant level.
- Training or worked as a DoLs assessor
- Experience in management and service development
- Knowledge and use of IT systems
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Participated in continuous professional development
- Participated in research or service evaluation.
- Able to use and appraise clinical evidence.
- Has actively participated in clinical audit.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to plan and deliver teaching and training relevant to this post
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
- Has led clinical audits leading to service change.
Mersey Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Hollins Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.