Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust currently has approximately 450 on-going studies involving Investigational Medicinal Products (IMPs) and Pharmacy has an important role in ensuring that clinical trial medications are handled safely.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and well-motivated Band 5 Senior Pharmacy Clinical Trials Technician to join our team
Main duties of the job
- Interview date: 20th December 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes /week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
You will be responsible for all pharmacy aspects of clinical trials including development and implementation of trial specific pharmacy procedures, managing files, dealing with research teams, laboratories, sponsors and the dispensing of trial medication. The post holder will be part of the Trust-wide Pharmacy clinical trials team which supports research in very specialist areas such as adult and Paediatric Oncology, Cellular Therapies and Cardiology. You will be required to work across all of the Newcastle Hospital sites providing support for approximately fifty clinical trials at any one time, which will include commercial and non-commercial studies.
You will manage the ordering, receiving, storage and documentation of clinical trial material to ensure the correct storage of these materials in a neat and organised manner. You will be required to communicate with professionals both internal and external to the Trust and will be expected to be familiar with the basic functions of Microsoft Office, Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint. You will be required to learn and adapt new technology as required by the job role. As well as in-house training within the Pharmacy Clinical Trials unit, you will be required to complete a Good Clinical Practice (GCP) course.
Part-time hours will be considered.About us
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
Please see attached information on what Staff Benefits we have to offer at our Trust.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- The post holder will manage (with support from Specialist Senior Technician - Clinical Trials) all pharmacy aspects of clinical trial studies including development and implementation of pharmacy procedures, managing files, dealing with laboratories and sponsors and the dispensing of trial medication
- To manage with support (as above) the ordering, receiving , storage and documentation of clinical trial material and named patient medicines and to ensure the correct storage of these materials in a neat and organised manner
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.Person SpecificationKnowledgeEssential
- Knowledge and understanding of all technical aspects of pharmacy patient services, supported by practical experience gained from an approved training programme.
- In addition successful completion of an in-house competency based training programme or previous relevant post qualification hospital experience which provides an equivalent level of additional experience
- Demonstrate an up to date knowledge of Clinical Trial legislation
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Excellent customer care
- Working knowledge of pharmacy computer systems.
- Significant post qualification practical experience of working in a hospital pharmacy environment.
- Practical experience of working within Clinical Trials.
- Practical experience of working as a designated checker
- Demonstrable staff management
- S/NVQ Level 3 in Pharmacy Services and approved underpinning knowledge e.g. BTEC in Pharmaceutical Science or equivalent recognised pharmacy technician qualification.
- Registered with General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Recognised Accredited Checking Technician qualification
- NVQ Assessor qualification
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
317 01 Freeman Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.