We have an exciting full-time/part time considered opportunity for registered nurses with surgical experience or any other background, who have a keen interest in Surgery to join our dynamic team on ward 2 SEU (Surgical Emergency Unit).
Ward 2 is a 16 bedded ward caring for General Surgical, Urology, Plastic and ENT patients. We are also proud of establishing a new service SDEC with trolley/chaired area for assessment, treatment and ambulatory care to provide Same Day Emergency Care for surgical and urology patients.
You must have a keen interest within a surgical field. You must also be committed to excellence with a friendly, positive attitude, and be an active team member.Main duties of the job
Responsible for the assessment of care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of care without supervision. To assist in the monitoring of performance and work of the Nursing Team, providing education and support as appropriate. Managing the shift as safely and effectively as possible.
The ward has a positive approach to flexible working in order to help our staff achieve a healthy work/ life balance, an ethic that is strongly supported by the Trust. As a department we take extreme care pride in our staff, ensuring that your professional development is paramount. If you wish to broaden your professional skills and gain expert knowledge in a fantastic specialist field then this opportunity is for you!About us
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital services for around 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.As well as delivering excellent general hospital services to local people, we provide specialist heart attack, vascular, stroke, spinal, cystic fibrosis and plastic surgery services across a much wider area.
We have three main hospitals - Frimley Park in Frimley near Camberley, Heatherwood in Ascot and Wexham Park near Slough.Our three core values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other, Committed to Excellence, Working Together and Facing the Future.We are also proud to host the Defence Medical Group South East at Frimley Park with military surgical, medical and nursing personnel working alongside the hospital's NHS staff providing care to patients in all specialtiesJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesProfessional/Clinical Role
- To be responsible for the assessment of care needs, the development,implementation and evaluation of programmes of care without supervision
- To pro-actively co-ordinate the patients discharge arrangements in accordance with Trust Policy
- Ensure that all nursing practice within the clinical area complies with Trust Nursing policies and procedures
- To comply at all times with the NMC Code of Conduct (2018)
- To communicate effectively and liaise with all health care staff as appropriate
- To demonstrate a collaborative approach to planning care through effective communication and decision making between the multi-disciplinary team, patients and significant others
- Consolidate and extend own clinical skills in all aspects of nursing, furthering own professional knowledge in a rapidly changing environment
- Provide clinical leadership and development support to the nursing team
- Where issues of clinical competence are identified, work with the to address them
- Contribute to the local resolution, investigation and follow action of any informal or formal complaints
- To prioritise own work and others to ensure the ward/department is managed effectively
- To provide specialist knowledge and expertise within ward/department
- Participate in and lead quality initiatives to promote and ensure that nursing care is evidence and research based
- To participate in the systematic monitoring and evaluation of nursing practice within the clinical area, ensuring that it is evidence-based. In conjunction with the ward team, participate in the development of action plans which aim to enhance the quality of practice using the results of audits undertaken. Participate in the evaluation of thechanges made in practice
- To assist the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse in the implementation of the Trust Nursing & Midwifery Strategy and Corporate Objectives within the clinical area, and monitor its impact on practice
- To assist the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse in the monitoring of audits and the Trust dashboards.
- Manage the ward/department in the absence of the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse coordinating the team and delegating appropriate duties
- To liaise with Head of Nursing/Clinical Service Manager/Service Manager, reporting any changes in the ward which may affect patient care and practice in the absence of the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse.
- To provide clinical and managerial leadership and guidance to the nursing team
- To take lead responsibility for a team of qualified nurses and healthcare assistants,supporting their personal and practice development. This includes regular appraisals and performance management where appropriate
- Take responsibility for recruiting and retaining team members in conjunction with the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse
- To assist the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse in:o The recruitment and selection of nursing staff.o Co-ordinating the off-duty rostero Induction of bank/agency and new staff to the clinical area
- To ensure adequate supply of medical and surgical equipment, linen and any other type of equipment required in the absence of the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse.
- Participate in the implementation of induction/development programmes for newly qualified/appointed staff in conjunction with the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse and the rest of the team
- Undertake the regular performance review of staff, setting clear and achievable objectives appropriate to the grade and role
- In conjunction with the Ward Senior Sister/Charge Nurse and other Sisters/Charge Nurses, identify the training/development needs of staff within the clinical area
- Facilitate the implementation of clinical competencies within the clinical environment
- Facilitate the implementation of clinical supervision within the clinical area, providing clinical support where appropriate
- Act as a mentor & preceptor to nursing staff
- Ensure nursing staff attend mandatory training
- To maintain own personal & professional development, keeping revalidation folders up to date
- Act as a credible clinical role model
- Practice in a confident and competent professional manner
- Current first or second-level NMC Registration.
- Evidence of recent Continuous Professional development
- Significant Surgical Ward Experience
- Leadership Course
- Mentorship Course
- Band 6 Experience
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of up-to-date standards of clinical practice
Frimley Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Wexham Park Hospital - Ward 2 SEU
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.