This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to join our department as a Band 5 Medicines Optimisation Pharmacy Technician. We are seeking a forward thinking and highly motivated Pharmacy Technician to deliver a high quality, safe and effective pharmacy service. There is huge scope for the successful applicant to develop on both a personal and professional level through exposure to all departmental activities.
The post holder will join a team of specialist and generalist clinical pharmacists, medicines optimisation technicians and pharmacy assistants in delivering high quality, safe and effective care to patients and service users. You will undertake a wide range of clinical pharmacy activities in addition to six monthly specialist rotations. These areas include and are not limited to: pre-operative assessment, spinal rehabilitation medicine, clinical trials, homecare, complex long-term bone and soft-tissue infection management as well as post-operative care and high dependency/critical care.
This is a full time role (37.5 hours) post for a Band 5 pharmacy technician who will play an integral part of the medicines optimisation clinical services team providing a Pharmacy service and working closely within the multi-disciplinary team.Main duties of the job
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, forward thinking and pro-active clinically orientated medicines optimisation pharmacy technician to join our progressive team at RNOH. There is extensive scope for the successful applicant to develop on both a personal and professional level through exposure to all departmental activities, contributing towards portfolio building and the opportunity for further roles in the future.
The post holder will be required to possess good communication and interpersonal skills, be able to work effectively in busy environments both independently and within a team. Computer skills are essential. Ideally, the post holder should have previous NHS experience.About us
The RNOH is a national centre of excellence with an international reputation for diagnosis, assessment and treatment of neuro-musculoskeletal conditions.
It is an exciting time to join our department as we implemented ePMA in the Trust in Autumn 2022. Alongside the expansion to the theatre facilities, there are ever growing opportunities to contribute to medicines optimisation. Our pharmacy dispensary has recently been relocated to an innovative and purpose built area which also has dedicated office workspace and improved facilities for staff training, research, staff rest areas and dedicated patient consultation and waiting areas.
The Pharmacy Department has a strong focus on medicines optimisation and innovative pharmaceutical practice. This offers exciting opportunities for professional development for all staff.
Research and ongoing development is highly encouraged within the department and the Trust. We actively encourage staff to carry out presentations and participate in training sessions regularly held in the department.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will:
- Contribute to the Trust medicines optimisation agenda to ensure delivery of a safe, clinically and cost effective pharmacy service
- Undertake or willing to work towards Medicines Optimisation training
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to deliver patient focused care and ensure a timely supply of medicines, utilisation of patients own medicines and medicines adherence training
- Participate in medicines optimisation, ward top-up and ward-based dispensing
- Provide dispensary-based patient services to inpatients and outpatients including clinical trials
- Complete or work towards working as an Accredited Pharmacy Checking Technician qualification
- To contribute to the education and training programme for all pharmacy and clinical staff
- To meet the department and Trusts audit agenda and quality improvement objectives
- Undertake a course in Education and Training to facilitate learning
Through provision of an effective Pharmacy service, this post will
- Challenge your problem solving skills
- Strengthen your organisational skills by co-ordination and prioritisation of work
- Improve communication skills
- Development and expand on management and leadership skill
The post holder must hold Level 3 BTEC and NVQ in Pharmacy Services Certificate or equivalent and must be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- NVQ Level 3 in Pharmacy Services or equivalent recognised Pharmacy Technician qualification
- Completed or working towards Accredited Checking Technician
- Completed or towards a formal Medicines Optimisation Programme or be willing to undertake
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with the GPhC
- Mandatory professional CPD as defined by GPhC
- NVQ Assessor Training
- Medicines Optimisation Programme
- Other Education and Training qualifications (e.g. Educational Supervisor/Practice Supervisor)
- Experience of working in pharmacy post qualification. This must include a solid grounding in all aspects of pharmacy
- Experience in delivering training
- Working knowledge of pharmacy computer systems
Skills, Abilities and KnowledgeEssential
- Medicines Management Experience
- Hospital Experience
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good ability to organise and prioritise work
- Experience of medicines counselling in inpatient/outpatient settings
- A good knowledge of national and local NHS priorities that directly affect Pharmacy.
- Working knowledge of computer systems including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work both alone and as part of a team
- Good personal organisation and time management skills
- Demonstrates awareness of and commitment to the Clinical Governance agenda
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.