Main duties of the job
- Undertakes the highly complex and highly specialized oncology and traumas design and manufacture case work in line with ISO13485.and regularly attends Clinics to advise Maxillofacial, Restorative and Orthodontic Consultant Surgeons on all technical aspects of the designs.
- Highly Specialised Technologist in design construction and planning of highly specialised and complex Cad/Cam bespoke medical devices for oncology surgery cases, and trauma cases in line with ISO13485 QMS.
- Undertakes design development and construction of innovative appliances using expert technical knowledge, for R& D and teaching of Technologists, Clinical Undergraduates, Postgraduates, and Consultants.
- Undertakes developmental training of junior members of staff.
About usCardiff and Vale University Health Board
- Is responsible for the planning and construction of implantable dental fixed / removable and oro/facial appliances of a highly specialist / complex nature.
- Is responsible for Trauma and Oncology planning and manufacturing of surgical guides and plates via the medium of CAD/CAM.
- Participates in research and development, planning and construction of innovative designs
- Provides advice training and guidance to Consultants, Laboratory staff, Undergraduates, Post graduates and clinical staff
is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focussed on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission is Caring for People, Keeping People Well,
and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiff and the Vale offers the best of both worlds.Job descriptionJob responsibilities Plan, design and construction of highly complex surgery guides and recon plates from CT data and Cad Cam software Plan, design and construction of cranio-plasty plates from software via CT scan data. Incorporating all designs and including complex techniques of obturator construction. Provide a full & professional Maxillofacial Prosthetic Service, including clinical assessment, impression taking, construction and fitting of oro-facial prostheses, maxillofacial prosthetics associated with implantology and oro-facial implantology and maxillary obturation. This will include patient assessment, impression taking, clinical and laboratory design, construction and fitting of prostheses. In addition, to take account of aesthetics, function, material science and biocompatibility of all components, materials and associated physiological, medical and related needs of the patient. Play a role in maintaining and developing in-house training programmes for Technologists and supervise students/technicians and clinicians seconded to the department for training in Maxillofacial Prosthetics and Technology Will be required to attend operating theatres in order that the team approach is applied when placing implants or when other related surgery is being performed, e.g. hemi-maxillectomy surgery, and other surgeries. Provide a clinical and technological support service to other sites as required Plan, design and construction of osseo-intergrated implant retained prostheses both intra orally and extra-orally in partnership with consultant/clinician. Advise/assist clinical undergraduates and Consultants, Senior and junior clinical staff on technical/clinical problems relating to patient treatment/treatment plans which will often require consultations on clinic where patients wishes and expectations are expressed. Adjustments will be required to be made at chairside by the technologist. Plan, design and construction surgical stents for orthognathic surgery interacting with Consultants from Maxillofacial and orthodontics. Autonomously plan and co-ordinat personal work allocation on a day-to-day basis. To work within recognised management systems and provide an emergency service for day case patients work on rota. Assist the Laboratory Manager in the supervision, guidance and training of undergraduate Technologists To participate in research and development of 3d printing materials, and Cad Cam techniques. Report equipment failure/malfunction. Advice on stock control in the Cad Cam suite. Maintain general cleanliness/organisation of work areas. Comply with recognised sickness, accident/incident, and leave-reporting procedures. To maintain the strictest confidences in relation to personnel related information and it must be recognised that all patient related information is confidential whether formally recorded or not. Maintain ISO13485 standards and undertake regular audits. To work in adherence to Health and Safety guidance, UHBs Health and Safety Policy, MDD, COSHH Regulations and other statutory requirements as appropriate. To participate in regular staff meetings and contribute to policy changes and proposals. To participate in Quality and Audit Initiatives undertaken by the UHB. To be participating in regular appraisal with Line Manager and to identify training and development needs. This job description is not exhaustive and may be amended from time to time by mutual agreement. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- oBSc Dental Technology or BTEC Diploma Dental Technology, MSc Maxillofacial & Craniofacial.
- Technology or Diploma in Professional Studies (Dental Technology) or HNC/HND in Maxillofacial Technology
- Post qualification experience in Maxillofacial Prosthetics working in a multidisciplinary hospital environment.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oExperience in the use of Cad / Cam 3d Printing
Cardiff and Vale University Health BoardAddress
University Dental Hospital UDH
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.