As a Mechanical Maintenance Technician at UHS you will perform planned and reactive maintenance and repairs across our hospital sites including Southampton General, Princess Anne and South Hants.
Our Maintenance Technicians are one of many unique roles which keep our hospitals running. The tools you work with and tasks you complete will be varied and range from small routine maintenance to critical emergency fixes and longer-term projects to upgrade facilities. We will facilitate your necessary training to deliver our unique services and support you to learn new skills along the way. When done well, your work might go unnoticed by our patients but is always valued by our 13.5 thousand staff because we all know it takes over 250 job roles to deliver our hospital services and we are committed to working together to serve our community.
We welcome experience from all sectors, but you will also need some experience from engineering disciples like those listed below. o Pipefitting/plumbingo Service Techniciano Building Services Engineero Mechanical Engineer
We offer guaranteed fixed working hours, permanent contracts, great benefits as well as access to overtime through our bank. Main duties of the jobAs a Mechanical Maintenance Technician, you will:
o Be capable of reading & interpreting engineering drawings and documents.o Have great fault-finding skills.o Have knowledge of technical, regulatory & industry best practise for mechanical systems (e.g. Vent, Water, Compressed gasses).o Be competent in safe isolation procedures & safe working practices.o Be flexible in the tasks you undertake.o Be open to learning and developing your skills and knowledge.o Be a good communicator both face to face and when writing notes or reports. Typical Duties Include:
o Diagnosis and rectification of persistent faults & systemic performance concerns.o Review of design proposals.o Working with maintenance contractors to deliver routine maintenance.o Undertaking isolation of mechanical systems to enable works.o Issuing of PTWs.o Providing technical support to workshop staff & projects team.o Supervision of maintenance works.o Use of technical tools & equipment to monitor and assess system performance. The role will include working with the following systems:
o AHUso Heat Exchangerso Cooling Towerso LTHW & Chilled Watero Motorso Steamo Potable Systemso BMS/ControlsAbout us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
We support flexible working and will consider requests taking into account the needs of the service. UHS employees can access a huge range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), can access on-site nursery facilities (subject to availability), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live, and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesREQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
Time served apprenticeship and qualification to ONC or equivalent (C& G level 3 etc) in mechanical or building services discipline. Proven fault-finding skills. Computer Literacy including fluency with MS Office suite and use of internet search engines. Understanding of Health & Safety requirements including risk assessments & Method Statements. Work independently without supervision. Flexible approach to working as role likely to develop.
Previous experience within healthcare engineering. Previous experience working with Safe Systems of Work/PTWs. Experience within other associated trades or disciplines. HNC or higher in an engineering discipline. Supervisory/Managerial Experience.
Core working hours are 07h30-15h30 Monday Friday, however the successful applicant will be expected to take part in an on call roster that typically requires on call 1-day-in-10.Person SpecificationQualifications / trainingEssential
- Time served apprenticeship from recognised body (CITB, City and Guilds, National Vocational Qualification, JIB, Armed Services) or equivalent in an Electrical/Mechanical Engineering Services discipline. Qualifications in relevant subjects to an HNC/HND level, OR equivalent level (HNC) of knowledge and practical experience achieved through experience in a hospital or similar environment
- Expert specialist trained in electrical/mechanical services, systems, and equipment involving fault-finding, repair, inspection and commissioning in electrical and mechanical plant and systems which provides the engineering support to the smooth running of the hospital
- Vocational qualifications, following training/courses to satisfy the Trust's ever expanding highly complex nature of equipment
Knowledge and experienceEssential
- Member of registered/professional bodies such as the IHEEM, IMechE, CISBE for the jobholder's specialist field
- Competent Person Sterilisation
- Competent Person Washer/Disinfectors
- Competent Person Confined spaces
- Competent Person Steam
- Competent Person Medical Gas
- Competent Person Water Hygiene
- AP LV as per HTM 06-02
- C& G 2391 Testing and Inspection
- 18th edition of the IEE regulations
- Relevant and recent experience in similar maintenance organisation
- Sound trade working knowledge
- Able to demonstrate leadership qualities
- Experience of safe system of work procedures
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Preferably practical experience within the building services engineering contracting and maintenance industries, within the NHS or similar government organisation
- Past supervision experience
- Relevant experience within a national health service environment or similar government organisation
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Southampton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.