The post holder will have the responsibility for the assessment of patient care needs and the development and/or the implementation and evaluation of these programmes.
Carry pathways of care under supervision and, when proficient demonstrate procedures to and supervise junior or unqualified staff.
As part of managerial & clinical development, under supervision, take charge of the team/unit as directed by the unit manager to satisfy the needs of the service.Main duties of the job
- Assess patient care needs and the development and implementation of programmes of patient care and participate in the evaluation of these.
- Carry out all relevant forms of care to designated patients and be able to supervise learner nurses and Health Care Support Workers.
- Care and control of medication and controlled drugs used for patient care, being aware of the systems used for safe administration, the ordering and maintenance of stock.
- Ensure work with the Trust/unit and ward policies in order to maintain professional, clinical and patient safety.
- Acquire the knowledge and expertise to take appropriate action in emergency situations and for personally attending the mandatory/compulsory update sessions.
- Have the in-depth knowledge with practical experience of good hand hygiene and environmental cleaning in conjunction with North Middlesex University Hospital trust policies and procedures
- Be aware of the principles of infection control and the prevention of cross infection in relation to patient care and the clinical environment.
- Be able to communicate basic care information and answer queries to patients, their relatives/carers and the multidisciplinary team members.
- To undertake cannulation combined with phlebotomy following a training programme to assess the competencies and practical levels to achieve safe working within trust policies and procedures.
North Mid is part of North Central London integrated care system - consisting of the NHS and Local authority organisations in Camden, Islington, Barnet, Enfield and Haringey. As with other ICS's, we are working increasingly closely with partners and indeed many of our financial and performance objectives are measured at this system level. Whilst all organisations remain as standalone, statutory bodies we have an ICS infrastructure for making shared decisions and agreeing shared approaches.
We are proud of our staff and want to ensure their training allows them to provide excellent clinical care. We are also a training unit for medical students from UCL and St George's University Grenada, and for nursing and midwifery students from Middlesex and City Universities.
Take a tour of our hospital hereJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationEducation and QualificationEssential ExperienceEssential
- To manage the maintenance of an acceptable environment for patients, reporting and taking appropriate action on hazards and faulty equipment.
- Management of patients with regard to their nursing/clinical needs as directed by the nurse in charge
- Report to and request advice from the nurse in charge of the unit in regard topatient care when appropriate.
- Ensure that communication is used effectively, both written and verbal, in the interest of patient care and with the multidisciplinary team
- To contribute to the discharge planning of patients informing the District Nurse / GP of issues and patient/relative requirements/requests.
- Ensure that the Outpatient environment will be well maintained, clean and safe. Report hazards to the nurse in charge acting to prevent further danger to staff and patients
- To be aware of the Trusts Corporate Governance Strategy and how the system directs the Trust with regard to meeting the necessary standards of accountability, financial control, patient and public involvement and the delivery of clinical outcomes.
- To be courteous & helpful to patients, families/carers, colleagues and all users to the trust.
- Have basic computer skills & be able to access patient details and reports via trusts IT system.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oExperience of teaching junior nurses and learner nurses and patient/carer using appropriate language and terminology
- oExperience of working as part of a Team seeking advice from, sharing experiences with and offering support to other members of staff
- oExperience of managing a group of patients
- oExperience of dealing with difficult situations
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS TrustAddress
North middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
Sterling Way ,
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.