Registered General Nurse Department Cancer Centre- Day care area. Band 5 �28,407 - �34,581 per annum, pro rata if part time Hours: Full time and Part time available, all MKUH roles will be considered for flexible working and secondment
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a band 5 Registered Nurse to join our established team in our new cancer centre at Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
The Cancer Centre team aspire to provide exceptional care for the public of Milton Keynes and as such we are looking for a passionate Band 5 Registered Nurse to assist us to achieve our aspirations. Are you that person?
The successful candidate will assist the Nursing team alongside the current senior structure within day care unit collaborating to ensure the provision of high-quality care, maintaining standards of clinical excellence, improving outcomes and experiences for patients, families, and carers within the Cancer Centre.
This rapidly expanding modern and busy unit offers many training opportunities for their staff, recent developments have led to the opening of our cancer centre in February 2020. This developing service is supported by a forward thinking & supportive Management Team, Nurse Practitioners, Palliative Care Team & Macmillan Information and Support Centre.
Part of this role involves undertaking a University Programme in Systemic Anti-Cancer Therapy (SACT). Interview date: 4/12/23Main duties of the job
We firmly believe in holistic care, with a newly established wellbeing team to enhance the recovery package for patients living with and beyond cancer. We have Citizen Advice Bureau onsite and offer a wide range of carers and patient support groups.
To ensure a robust effective nursing team, who possess the skill to rotate around the departments within the cancer Centre as required. Inclusive of the Day unit suite, acute oncology triage bay and the inpatient ward.
To ensure that individual programmes of care are planned, delivered, and measured in order that Haematology and Oncology patients receive a high-quality nursing service.
To ensure that all lines of communication are identified and used effectively and to maintain a high standard of nursing care within the framework of Trust and national standardsAbout us
You can expect a warm welcome at Milton Keynes University Hospital, our staff are friendly and welcoming. We listen to each other and work together to embed our Trusts values and behaviours. At MKUH we appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including:
- Free on-site parking
- Free tea and coffee
- Great flexible workingopportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Lease car scheme
- Generous annual leave and pension scheme
- On site nursery (chargeable)
- Extensive staff health and well-being programme
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital we conduct research and teaching on site to improve the care of our patients. The hospital is undergoing significant investment, and we are proud to be rated good by the CQC. Visit our website to catch up on our latest news.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To act at all times in accordance with the Nursing and Midwifery Councils Code of Conduct.
- To care for patients and their families within the framework of the departments philosophy of care.
- Care of the patient undergoing systemic anti-cancer therapy (SACT), pre, during and post care/emergency assessment and management of complications of treatments.
- To demonstrate clear understanding of the Health and Safety implications of working with hazardous substances.
- To make a thorough assessment of the patients needs according to an agreed model of nursing care pre and during chemotherapy appointments.
- To formulate evidence-based programmes of care based on an assessment and evaluation of patient needs.
Please refer to the attached Job Description for more details.Person SpecificationQualifications and knowledgeEssential
- To maintain own personal and professional development in accordance with NMC guidelines.
- To participate in the departments in service training and complete departmental competency programme.
- To assist with the orientation of new members of staff.
- RGN Adult
- Diploma/degree or working at advanced level
- Competent in drug calculations
- Awareness of NHS policies
- Awareness of Infection Control issues
- Understanding of Health and Safety in workplace
- Chemotherapy course
- Cancer Course/modules (degree level)
- Balancing and prioritizing care and staffing needs. Able to work well within a team and develop effective interpersonal relationships
- Ability to demonstrate commitment and high standards of care
- Accurate record keeping
- Ability to plan and organise own workload
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise tasks effectively at short notice
- Good time management
- Post registration experience in Oncology/Haematology
- Experience of Care for patients undergoing chemotherapy
- Computer literate
- Venepuncture/cannulation skills
- Use of PICC/Hickman Lines
Desirable Personal and people developmentEssential
- Ability to delegate appropriately and recognise own & others
- IT skills-use of email & clinical databases
- Leadership and management experience
- Team awareness and ability to view the wider picture
- Awareness of current issues in nursing
- Ability to facilitate & support the development of innovative nursing practice
- Ability to be flexible, to have flair and initiative to be able to work within & manage a team
- Motivated, positive - self-directed and committed
- Able to deliver and receive constructive feedback
- Advanced clear style
- Self-awareness and diplomacy
- Aware of impact of own words/style
- Excellent written and documentation style
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to perform the duties of the post with reasonable aids and adaptations
- Able to move and handle patients and stand throughout a shift
- Able to work flexibly across internal rotation
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Ward 25 (Dept)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.