Are you an experienced registered midwife and exceptional individual who can influence, lead and motivate staff at all levels? Are you passionate about leading to promote a positive patient safety culture in order to maximise perinatal governance? If so, then you're the midwife we want working with us!
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust operates hospitals on two main sites in Cheltenham and Gloucester, and we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the country. Our workforce of almost 8000 staff provides high quality emergency, elective and specialist care across a range of clinical areas.
Our maternity services provide exceptional choice to women and midwives offering an exemplary maternity service through a range of settings. Across our three main sites we have 6000 births a year and prioritise maternal health and choice working as a multidisciplinary team to enhance shared decision making.
This is an exciting time to join GHNHSFT because we are developing our midwifery portfolio which proactively meets and develops the needs of our midwives, and the women and families we care for. This includes investment in our senior midwifery team and our Perinatal Governance team.Main duties of the job
Through a proactive approach towards a positive perinatal safety culture, the Senior Patient Safety and Quality Midwife will support and develop a culture of informed questioning, positive challenge, appreciative enquiry, data informed analysis triangulation and assurance. Leading risk management and quality assurance activity, the Senior Patient Safety and Quality Midwife will ensure compliance on national and local programmes. The post will involve working closely with the Maternity, Anaesthetic and Neonatal Stakeholders to ensure compliance is met with both the maternity incentive scheme and Ockendon/East Kent/National learning and immediate and essential safety actions requirements.About us
As our most valuable asset, we understand that happy, fulfilled staff will offer their best, and we aim to achieve this by providing a supportive team approach.
We are a large team comprising of midwives, maternity care assistants, maternity support workers and obstetricians. Each member of the multi-disciplinary team has a voice that can be heard and most importantly listened to.
As an exceptional, experienced senior midwife you will become an essential part of that supportive multi-disciplinary team, providing inspirational leadership, working with key stakeholders to support transformation within our serviceJob descriptionJob responsibilities
- Foster a positive proactive approach to risk management developing close links with clinical and managerial staff.
- Act as a self-relating practitioner who horizon scans to ensure the divisional governance activities remain in line with current best practice.
- Support and develop a culture of informed questioning, challenge, trend analysis triangulation, and assurance to ensure lessons are learned and that action plans are delivered in a way which has a positive effect on patient outcomes and patient experience.
- Be responsible for ensuring effective governance systems are in place across maternity through the review and timely closure of incidents, support investigating officers with investigations and the development of action plans for investigations including HSIB investigations.
- To be actively involved in SI investigations.
- To review Serious Incident investigation performance to ensure the timely submission of final investigation reports
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Women and Childrens Division management team to ensure effective communication systems are in place and to ensure excellent standards of care and compliance with national and local standards.
- Receive and communicate complex information required for each safety action of the scheme ensuring the information received is accurate and meets the needs of the scheme.
- To ensure the evidence required for the MIS/Ockenden/East Kent and associated programmes is submitted in a timely manner.
- Identify any gaps of non-compliance and escalate appropriately.
- Support the Trust and Maternity Services in developing programmes of work to ensure that the Trust meets the outcomes set by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), NHS England and any other national, service-specific or local performance frameworks.
- Maintain robust assurance processes that meet local and national standards and that they are aligned to the Trusts governance processes and standards
- Actively support the aggregation of the Maternity Dashboard and any other quality measures
- Promote a culture of quality improvement to ensure best practice in the delivery of patient care, ensuring systems support improvements in clinical quality and aligned to Trust processes and standardsPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Active Registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- United Kingdom recognised Degree in Midwifery
- Evidence of ongoing professional development through maintenance of professional portfolio and registration revalidation
- Evidence of leadership qualification with NHS Leadership Academy or similar
- United Kingdom recognised Master's Level degree or evidence of study at this level
- Substantial experience of a clinical/managerial position (significant experience at band 7) within Governance/Risk teams
- Experience in Serious Incident Investigation and associated action plans
- Substantial experience of teaching and mentoring more junior staff
- Experience with the Datix Risk Management System
- Full understanding of the speciality monitoring frameworks and the NHS organisations reporting obligations and their contribution to ensuring the organisation meets them
Knowledge, Skills, AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of leading and managing a team, including managing conflict
- Significant experience of successful change management
- Able to prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Personally resilient and able to manage complexity and work in an ambiguous or changing environment.
- Excellent presentational, communication and interpersonal skills dealing with a range of professionals
- Ability to make decisions and solve complex problems
- Advanced planning and organisational skills
- Able to manage time effectively
- Able to negotiate and influence at an organisational level and externally with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent abilities in concise and accurate report writing and presentation of information
- Knowledge of the components of governance, risk management and assurance function current NHS national policies, standards, requirements and directions that relate to measuring and improving the quality and safety of patient care
- Demonstrates and understanding of the functions of the NMC Code of Professional Conduct and responsible for its application to clinical practice
- Ability to define, collate, retrieve & manipulate data
- Ability to sensitively inform service users on emotional and complex issues such as patient death, diagnosis and treatment, complaints investigation and resolution. Able to support & facilitate own staff in dealing with these issues.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrates a passion for Patient Safety and Quality in maternity
- Self-relating, kind and compassionate using principles of just and fair culture
- Forward thinking approach, recognises and values the contribution of others whilst being assertive and consistent
- Capacity to work with clinicians at all levels, maintaining positive working relationships
- Resilient under pressure
- Team focused
- Approachable, and flexible toward the role and delivery
- Reliable, Adaptable and Dependable
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Great Western Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.