The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust currently has a number of fantastic opportunities for aspiring, customer focused, mechanical maintenance professionals to be based at the Freeman Hospital. Working within a small multi-disciplinary team, the chosen applicant will help maintain the building services infrastructures at one of the Top 10 Hospital Trusts in the U.K.
On offer is:
- Clear career progression routes.
- Regular professional training with access to development training.
- A regular, consistent, working pattern.
Main duties of the job
- Interview Date: 12th December 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes /week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy
Candidates must have completed a recognised mechanical engineering apprenticeship, be self-motivated with a desire to develop new skills and flexible to meet the demands of a large acute hospital.
Specialist training and support will be provided where necessary with the the chosen candidates required to develop into a skilled maintenance technician who may be required to:
- Maintain, test and repair some/all of the numerous decontamination equipment on site,
- Verify and maintain prescribed high standards linked to operating theatre ventilation systems,
- Undertake mechanical maintenance tasks as part of a robust Legionella management programme
- Inspect, maintain and support the various piped medical gas systems on site
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To install, maintain, service and repair the full range of estates specialist equipment, plant and infrastructure.
- Provides technical advice to other estates maintenance staff and contractors to ensure compliance with safety standards and procedures.
- Act in the role of Competent Person/Responsible Person, as defined by Health Technical Memorandum, for at least two of the following areas:o Water Safetyo Lifting Equipmento Pressure Systemso Medical Gasses.o Specialist Ventilationo Decontamination.o Confined Spaces
- Undertakes condition surveys, evaluates inspection reports.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- BTEC, HNC/HND or Approved Apprenticeship, City and Guilds or NVQ 3 Technicians Certificate or equivalent qualificationsin relevant topics plus significant technical experience
- Comprehensive post apprenticeship experience in hospital maintenance environment.
- Qualification and experience mechanical / motor con BTEC or City and Guilds in Medical Gas Pipeline and Vacuum Systems and BTEC or City & Guilds in Decontamination Equipment and Sterilisation
- Expertise and a full understanding of complex mechanical healthcare related infrastructure.
- Thorough working knowledge of Building Management Systems.
- Have a detailed working knowledge of the following: o Ventilation and cooling systems. o Steam generation and distribution. o MTHW & LTHW generation and distribution. o DHW & DCW generation and distribution. o BMS control systems. o Pneumatic systems.
- An understanding of key legislation relating to the maintenance of facilities.
- Experience of working in an industrial environment.
- Electrical/mechanical services systems maintenance
- Mechanical testing and inspection
- Knowledge of Healthcare Technical Guidance.
- Hospital experience
- Working with natural gas systems
- Able to make workload assessments and allocation
- Ability to evaluate and solve problems in situ
- Ability to communicate verbally by phone and in writing to Senior Management and clinical users throughout the Trust.
- PC and IT literate. Ability to use tools and test equipment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Pipe welding, steriliser maintenance
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
317 01 Freeman Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.