An exciting opportunity has arisen at The Princess Alexandra Hospital Trust to appoint a Macmillan Information Manager. This is a 2 year full-time post funded by Macmillan cancer charity.
We are looking for a motivated registered nurse or allied health professional with cancer experience to develop an environment conducive to delivering and embedding an information service to support our cancer patients / carers individual information needs.Main duties of the job
To establish a service to provide support and information and support for cancer patients and their carers/families. Working with Macmillan and the cancer team at PAHT to optimise the giving of information to our patients in a format that is conducive to their individual needs.
The role will be supported by a Cancer Support Worker, The Recovery Package Manager, Lead Cancer Nurse and all of the Cancer Team.
The appointed person will be accountable for:
- Running a Cancer Information service at PAHT
- Ensuring a safe and effective environment
- Enhancing the patient' experience
- Ensuring the effective contribution to the delivery of Macmillan's, PAHT and Cancer services objectives
- Efficient and effective use of resources
- Managing supportive staff including volunteers
- Maintaining data and documentation relating to service delivery
The Cancer Team at PAHT are committed to providing the best care possible for the patients who use the service. They are friendly team with a strong work ethic and treat people how they would like their loved ones or themselves to be treated. They strive to develop their service and are keen to listen to feedback to learn and ultimately enhance the experience of the cancer patients and their carers.
The Team mainly work in Williams Day Unit. Some patients who are diagnosed at PAHT are referred to Tertiary centres, some tumour sites receive all of their treatment at PAHT. The information unit will provide a service for patients being treated at PAHT and those who want to access information services at their local hospital.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For more information about the key responsibilities and specific skills and experience you will need, take a look at the Job Description and Person Specification attachment.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- University Degree and a recognised health o social care professional qualification
- Teaching qualification
- Experience in a healthcare environment at either band 6 or equivalent
- Experience of working in a professional role with people affected by cancer within the last 3 years and knowledge of their health care needs
Skills and knowledgeEssential
- Communication skills training
- A management qualification
- Working towards an MSc
- Possesses excellent leadership skills with demonstrable ability to effectively lead change and deliver on successful outcomes
- IT Literate (to include Microsoft word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point)
- Effective resource utilisation
- Strong understanding of the range of cancers, its treatment and impact on the lives of patients and carers
- Knowledge of the work of cancer support organisations such as Macmillan
- Understanding boundaries and limitations of the role
- Understanding of confidentiality
- Understand the needs of minority and vulnerable people
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal
- Able to prioritize work and work well against a background of change and uncertainty
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Leadership and team building skills
- Understanding of the Health/social needs of the local community
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS TrustAddress
The Princess Alexandra Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.