We are looking for a proactive, motivated and ambitious Lead Dispensary Pharmacist to co-ordinate the clinical screening of work within the dispensary, working closely with the dispensary team to manage the daily workflow through the department. They will provide training to pharmacists rotating through the dispensary, as well as acting as a professional lead and role model for the dispensary workforce.Main duties of the job
To work alongside the dispensary manager to manage the daily workflow within the dispensary, ensuring that patients receive safe and appropriate medication in a timely manner.
To manage and co-ordinate the clinical screening of prescriptions within the dispensary, ensuring medications prescribed are safe, appropriate and cost effective. This includes delegating workload to other pharmacists. These prescriptions include but are not limited to:
- Inpatient orders
- Discharge prescriptions (TTOs)
- Planned work such as for the infusion day unit, allergy clinic and other clinics
- Homecare prescriptions
- Outpatient prescriptions
To ensure the service is managed according to departmental procedures and meets the minimum standards agreed with the pharmacy site manager and clinical pharmacy manager. The service will be provided and developed taking current legislation into account.
To act as the dispensary liaison with internal departments and teams including homecare, pharmacy purchasing, the intravenous and vascular access service (IVAS) and the home infection management service (HIMS).
To deal with professional queries within the dispensary and provide advice to healthcare professionals, patients and other service users.About usThere's never been a more exciting time to build your career at Frimley Health, one of the country's largest and most respected trusts
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust (FHFT) has an outstanding reputation and a proud record of achievement. We have an ongoing commitment to improving the health and care services for the 900,000 people we serve across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
We continue to invest in our services and facilities, including a �10 million upgrade to the hospital maternity unit as well as �49m major new Emergency Assessment Centre on our Wexham Park site. The opening of a brand new �100m state of the art hospital which replaced the existing hospital facility at Heatherwood and are planning to invest further in diagnostics and inpatient capacity at Frimley Park.
We have also made significant investment in our quality improvement and digital programmes to support our vision and we will ensure that we achieve our aim of providing the highest quality healthcare to our patients. Our new EPR - Epic - went live in June and we are already beginning to reap the benefits of this ambitious investment.
Our threecore values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other.
If you have a passion for clinical excellence, patient care and your own career development, you'll feel at home at Frimley Health.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
As detailed previously as well as:
To counsel patients on the use of their medicines, providing sound advice and answering queries where necessary.
To ensure that drugs utilised reflect the recommendations, the policies and formulary of Frimley Health.
To clinically screen and check clinical trial prescriptions in the absence of the clinical trials pharmacist.
To support the technical team in transcribing, labelling and dispensing prescriptions received into the pharmacy.
To inform pharmacists of dispensary related medication errors following the internal reporting process. To communicate these to members of the public or other health care professionals as appropriate.
To be involved in the recruitment, retention and development of staff through appraisal.
To be involved in the induction and training of pharmacists in the dispensary and training of trainee pharmacists in the pharmacists role in the dispensary. To lead the development of pharmacists in their dispensary role.
To work with the dispensary manager to implement and update dispensary procedures, engaging all stakeholders as appropriate.
To supervise the sale and supply of medicines via the pharmacy shop.
To participate and design dispensary related audits and data collection.
To work with the operational and EPR teams to develop new ways of working.
To participate late duty / weekend rotas & Bank Holiday rotas as required by the Chief Pharmacist
To carry out any other duties as required by the Chief Pharmacist or their deputy.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Pharmacy degree (Master level 4 years)
- Registered with GPhC
- Certificate in Clinical Pharmacy / Pharmacy Practice or equivalent
- Diploma (or working towards diploma) in Clinical Pharmacy / Pharmacy Practice or equivalent
- Independent prescribing (or working towards IP) qualification
- Member of Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Member of UKCPA
- Management training
- Significant post-qualification dispensary experience
- Experience of managing and leading or supervising a pharmacy or a team
- Recent hospital dispensary experience
- Recent hospital clinical pharmacy experience
- Experience of providing a medicines information service
- Practical experience of audit as well as policy and service development
- Experience of working in an automated dispensary environment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including listening skills
- Ability to work under pressure and cope with stressful situations
- Able to work on several issues simultaneously and reprioritise work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability and confidence to communicate with a wide range of customers, from patients to hospital consultants
- Ability to ask questions in a logical manner to ascertain the full facts of a particular enquiry.
- Ability to prioritise workload and work to deadlines
Frimley Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Frimley Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.