An exciting opportunity has arisen for a well-motivated, enthusiastic and suitably qualified IT Lead to work within our Microbiology and Virology Department. The successful candidate will support the Department by ensuring appropriate IT systems are available for use. They will work under the direction of the Integrated Laboratory Medicine IT Manager and the Microbiology and Virology Operational Site Managers.
Main duties of the job
- Interview date: 5th December 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes /week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
The main duties include -
- Maintain laboratory IT systems.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Oversee the Department aspect of the IT Helpdesk.
- Oversee the implementation of new IT systems, including first line testing.
- Ensure the Department complies with regulatory requirements such as Cyber Essentials.
- Liaise with Department management, Scientific Leads, Clinicians and IT colleagues in the Trust to ensure projects are completed to a high standard.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
Please see attached information on what Staff Benefits we have to offer at our Trust.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To coordinate, manage, maintain and implement information technology (IT) throughout the Directorate of Integrated Laboratory Medicine through a system of named individuals with responsibility for IT. The post-holder will be assigned a base Department, but will be expected to provide cover for other Departments within the Directorate on occasions.
- All such work will be performed strictly in accordance with the Trusts IM& T Policy and Procedures.
- The post holder will be expected to work closely with the Trust IT Department and the Directorate IT management team on such issues as APEX problem resolution, system development, linking systems between Trusts e.g. NPEX.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.Person SpecificationSkills & ExperienceEssential
- Good keyboard and IT related skills
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- organised and the ability to prioritise
- Analytical approach and the ability to make appropriate decisions
- Ability to solve IT related problems and implement corrective action
- Ability to teach other members of staff
- Ability to organise and manage projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Extensive experience of Microsoft applications
- Experience in performing data analysis and producing reports in tabular, graphical and other formats
- Experience of training in hardware and software applications
- Experience in working with Information Management Systems
- Understanding of Health and Safety legislation and safe working practices within medical Laboratories
- Experience in construction and maintenance of web pages
- Knowledge of electronic records
- First degree in IM& T or equivalent relevant experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of SQL or similar query language
- Understands the role of Integrated Laboratory Medicine in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Knowledge of an employee's responsibilities under the Data Protection Act and other IT related legislation
- Knowledge of installing and troubleshooting IT peripherals
- Knowledge of troubleshooting network problems
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
317 01 Freeman Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.