Job description Ref: LON CEN-CO-STH-2022-00680 (Approved)
CONSULTANT PSYCHIATRIST - 10PAs
The post offered is that of Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry. The postholder will have Consultant responsibility for Sapphire Ward, a female psychiatric acute treatment ward at St Pancras Hospital, 4 St Pancras Way, London, NW1 0PE
This is a substantive position. It is for 10 Programmed Activities: 7.5 Direct Clinical Care and 2.5 Supporting Professional Activities. All programmed activities will be based on Sapphire Ward.
The post is a well-established post and has become available following the retirement of the previous postholder. It forms part of a well-established hospital inpatient service based at the Huntley Centre.
The role of the Consultant is to be the clinical lead for the team and to ensure high quality, patient-centered care is delivered by the team.
The Trust welcomes flexible working arrangements, and the post could be offered as a job-share if two part-time applicants apply together and are successful at interview. Main duties of the job
The post-holder will provide overall clinical leadership for the Sapphire ward multidisciplinary team. With the ward manager they will be expected to ensure systems of clinical governance are in place and that high quality, safe and effective care is delivered for the patients under their care. As a senior clinician they will have an integral role in the performance of the team, further development of the service and the development of clinical pathways and priorities within the acute service division. It is expected that they will see all their patients at least once per week.About us
C& I has worked closely with current service users and Trust staff to create a set of shared values that make sure people who use the Trust's services get the best possible chance of a rapid recovery. These values are embedded in the campaign: Changing Lives - will help drive up the standards of care across the Trust. For people who use the C& I's services, these values meant that they can be assured that through their journey to recovery they will be guaranteed:o To receive a warm welcome through their journey to recoveryo That their dignity will always be respectedo That their care will be founded on compassion and kindnesso To receive a positive approach to care as they journey towards recoveryo High Quality Care from a highly trained team of professionalso That each individual will be part of the wider team in the journey to recovery - i.e. 'no decision about you, without you'.C& I staff are required to reflect these values throughout their service at the Trust both:o for people who use the services of the Trust, ANDo within their immediate teams and across the wider business of C& I.As an applicant for this role, you are urged to demonstrate within your supporting statement a combination of evidence that reflects your competence to meet the job specification and provide examples of how C& I values are an integral part of the way you have and will continue to deliver service.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Medical input, consultation and clinical leadership to the ward team and overall clinical responsibility for patients admitted to the ward
- Medical input and leadership in care planning and risk assessment for patients
- Responsible Clinician responsibilities with attendance at and report-writing for Mental Health Tribunals and Managers Hearings
- Oversight of physical health care of wards in-patients
- Regular clinical liaison with community Consultants and community teams.
- Close liaison with the relevant Islington and Camden Crisis Resolution & Home Treatment Teams and crisis houses who will help to facilitate early discharge of patients back into the community.
- Ensuring efficient, timely and high-quality communication takes place with General Practitioners
- Regular clinical supervision of the Physicians Associate, Core Psychiatric and Senior (Higher) Psychiatric Trainees.
- Ensure a program of learning is in place for medical students attached to the ward.
- Assist with Serious Incident investigations when required.
- Provide second opinions for Consultant colleagues if requested.
- Support Quality Improvement Projects.
- Provide annual and study leave cover for colleagues
- Attend and participate in Consultants' and Management meetings to keep informed of service issues and developments, including the Clinical Advisory Group, Medical Advisory Group, Bed Management meeting.
- Full registration with the General Medical Council (GMC) and a license to practice. Must be on the specialist register or within 3 months of gaining a Certificate of Completion of Training
- Section 12(2) and Approved Clinician status (or eligibility) - qualifies to act as a Responsible Clinician
- Membership of Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent higher qualification in psychiatry
- Registered with Royal College of Psychiatrists CPD programme and in good standing
- Shared Services training up to date to be an approved trainer/clinical supervisor
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Other relevant post-graduate qualification
- Trained as an Educational Supervisor for doctors in training
- Training as a Consultant mentor
- Knowledge and observance of the requirements and duties of a doctor laid down by the GMC in Good Medical Practice.
- Clinical knowledge of the full range mental disorders. Experience in the assessment of complex clinical cases involving severe and enduring mental illness and significant risk histories and the ability to assertively engage and manage such cases
- Expertise in a comprehensive range of evidence based treatment and case management options including pharmacotherapy.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act and safeguarding practices
- Experience in work place based assessments of doctors in training
- Good understanding of Trust governance structures, especially clinical governance
- Experience in organising and chairing meetings.
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- Experience in teaching small and large groups
- Experience in developing policies and protocols.
- Previous experience of working with crisis teams
- Experience of service development.
- Significant previous clinical experience at junior, higher trainee and/or consultant level in Acute ward-based general adult psychiatry
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and influence others.
- Teaching and supervision skills for undergraduate medical students, doctors in training and multi-professional staff Enthusiasm for the subject of psychiatry and willingness to share knowledge and experience
- Sensitivity and awareness in clients and staff from different cultures, ethnicities, gender and sexual orientations.
- Ability to organise workload and manage time and delegate responsibility where appropriate.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in successfully delivering research projects
- A special interest or willingness to develop one in an area which helps to meet the needs of the Trust
Camden and Islington NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Pancras Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.