HMP Elmley, a Category B local remand prison A recruitment & retention premium is associated to this post.
The post holder will provide consultant input for the in-reach team at HMP Elmley together with another Senior Specialist colleague who will provide 10 PA cover. The post includes an interesting and varied range of clinical responsibilities for prisoners with a wide range of clinical conditions, including acute and chronic mental illness, personality disorder and ADHD. Within the stepped care model, the Elmley service screens about 40 referrals per week. The in-reach team holds a caseload of about 90. New assessments are normally slotted into the ward rounds (Inpatients) and into prearranged out-patient Clinics if the new assessments are generated from the referral system. All referrals are triaged by the In-Reach Team. On rare occasions, assessments are requested as an emergency from the wings or segregation unit. This is variable but on average once a week. This will be shared by the two post holders.Main duties of the jobClinical work - HMP Elmley (0.6 w.t.e)
Quality improvement/Research/Teaching- (0.4 w.t.e)
- assessing prisoners in the house-blocks and in Healthcare
- liaising with services outside the prison to arrange CPAs, aftercare plans or transfers to hospital
- attending the inpatient unit to manage psychiatric cases. The inpatient unit has 29 beds, of which about 70% have mental-health related difficulties
- any other care which could reasonably be expected of a consultant acting in an in-reach capacity in a prison
- clinical cover to HMP Stanford Hill, a D-category prison adjacent to Elmley with a very small number of patients mainly managed by mental health practitioners.
- quality improvement initiatives, to be agreed with multidisciplinary colleagues and the service managers.
- These 4 sessions can be used flexibly and the post holders can base themselves remotely (Base of their choice) unless required to be on site for data collection or clinical activities associated with this.
- The activities could include clinical audits, research projects, service improvement or other tasks associated with clinical governance
- The research or quality improvement activity may be part of further education such as masters or PhD or other postgraduate qualifications
- The post holder can also include part or whole of the sessions for teaching activities
At Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, we offer a wide range of NHS healthcare services to people living in South-East London and to people in prison across England. Our wide array of services includes community health care, such as district nursing and speech and language therapy, care for people with learning disabilities and mental health such as psychiatry, nursing and therapies.
Oxleas is a great place to work. It has been recognised as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work 2023 by the Sunday Times amongst very big employers. Our staff survey results show that we are in the Top 5 in England and the highest in London for staff experience amongst similar trusts.
We are always delighted to welcome new colleagues to the Oxleas family. We care about making Oxleas a great place to work - it's a big priority in our strategy. Come and join us - it's a place where our values, teamwork, equity, and wellbeing matter and where you can really help to improve people's lives.
Chief ExecutiveJob descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will be eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register in Forensic Psychiatry or General Adult Psychiatry.
The duties of the post holder will include:
- Consultant leadership for the In-reach teams at HMP Elmley
- A management role in an aspect of quality assurance
- Inclusion in the forensic out-of-hours work (1 week in 14) weekly rota.
- Consultancy work offered by the Specialist Forensic Consultants. This will be allocated as per a rota consisting of Consultants and Specialty Registrars.
The post holder will have 4 PAs allocated in their job plan for undertaking activities that support the professional role such as teaching, training, clinical management, clinical governance, service development and other relevant activities.Person SpecificationRegistrationEssential RegistrationEssential ExperienceEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
Oxleas NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.