Full time: 37.5 Hours Per Week
As an Estates Officer (Electrical Bias) you will play an important role in the day to day management of the estates function and be responsible for delivery of maintenance and projects throughout the trust. Using your skills and technical knowledge you will ensure these are delivered at the highest level.
To ensure the highest standards, using our Planet FM system the post holder will manage maintenance, repairs and projects
The successful applicant will play a crucial role in the management of Low Voltage systems on our sites being appointed as an Authorised Person LV. Using your specialist technical knowledge you will be required to work with trade staff and contractors to assist in the diagnosis of faults on complex electrical systems as required.
It is desirable that the applicant has a good working knowledge of Building Management systems, Fire Alarms, security / access control / cctv systems as was as other construction based disciplines associated with running a large estate.
The trust prides itself in providing training and development to suitable staff members.Main duties of the jobYou will be responsible for the management of minor works projects on a day-to-day basis.Assisting the Estates Manager, Senior Estates Officers and Supervisors, you will lead on technical aspects associated with your skillset. You will undertake duties as an Authorised Person for electrical disciplines.The successful candidate will manage minor works projects and assist in the technical delivery of major capital projects.You will be required to manage the estates in house team and contractors and assist the team of supervisors with day to day management. The applicant should have a good understanding preparing project budgets, project management and delivery and be able to work to agreed timescales.You will be responsible for Compliance with Statutory and Mandatory requirements and NHS guidance including CDM and associated construction related health and safety. You will mentor junior members of staff and encourage and facilitate technical development within the team.The post is based at our Kendray Hospital site but will involve travel to our other main site at Fieldhead Hospital in Wakefield and other properties across south and West Yorkshire on a daily basis as required.All employees of the Trust are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to protect patientsAbout us
We are a specialist NHS Foundation Trust that provides community, mental health and learning disability services for the people of Barnsley, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield. We also provide low and medium secure services and are the lead for the west Yorkshire secure provider collaborative.
Our mission is to help people reach their potential and live well in their communities, we do this by providing high-quality care in the right place at the right time. We employ staff in both clinical and non-clinical services who work hard to make a difference to the lives of service users, families and carers.We encourage and welcome applications from all protected characteristic groups, we value diversity and want our workforce to be reflective of our communities.
Being a foundation Trust means were accountable to our members, who can have a say in how were run. Around 14,300 local people (including staff) are members of our Trust.
Join us and you will be one of over 4,500 staff committed to supporting and improving the mental, physical and social needs of the thousands of people we meet and help each year.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all colleagues and volunteers to share this commitment.
We do reserve to right to close vacancy before the advertised closing date if necessary, so please apply as soon as possible.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To provide effective leadership in the management of the Operations and Maintenance Section as above and implement Estates policy action plans.
- To provide effective leadership and management of the portering and mail services.
- Responsible for Mechanical, Electrical, Building Trades Workforce for the day to day matters in the provision of maintenance for South West Yorkshire Trust.
- To be accountable for the productivity output of the relevant Trade and to ensure that standards of workmanship are maintained above agreed limits in a safe manner.
- To provide effective technical support to designated trade/staff in order to ensure the reliability and efficiency of engineering plant is maintained.
- To identify, and advise on training requirements within the managed trade.
- To order materials,/ services, and authorise payment of invoices regarding managed trade
- To assist in the co-ordination and development of the departments quality systems
KEY RESULT AREAS:
Assist and advise the Estate Manager on all operations and maintenance aspects of the Operations and Maintenance duties, particularly:
Ensuring the efficient and effective maintenance and operation of engineering plant, equipment and services.
Detailed up to date knowledge of building and engineering legislation and statutory requirements.
To have detailed knowledge of building/engineering maintenance within a Mental Health and PCT environment.
Implement a planned preventative maintenance system in all significant areas of the Trust to an agreed programme, and in new developments of the Trust at commissioning stage.
Implement procedures for operations and maintenance, which include the requirements contained in DSS Guidance/Codes of Practice, British Standards, HTMs Guidance Notes (Health & Safety etc.) and other similarly accepted documents.
Ensuring the safety of the plant, equipment and services for which he/she is responsible and safe methods of working as required by the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, COSHH Regulations, Building and Construction Regulations and the Trusts Safety Policy.
Maintaining the records of equipment and services for which he/she is responsible in accordance with statutory requirements.
Ensure directly managed staff comply with the Policy and Procedures contained within the Labour Management System.
Obtaining costs and quotations where necessary for goods requisitioned, all in accordance with the Trusts Standing Financial Instructions.
Disseminating information to the Estates Manager and other Estates Officers as necessary on all matters affecting policy, established procedures, training, staffing, safety, continuity of engineering services and technical development.
Advises Estates Manager of major failure of engineering plant, equipment and services.
Liaising and maintaining good relationships with Heads of Departments and other users of the service provided by his/her department.
Holding regular meetings of his/her supervisory staff to:
Establish and review programme of work.
Review the effective use of labour, materials and resources available.
Communicate decisions and information to staff and receive from them requests, suggestions and complaints.
Carry out job costing for minor improvements and plant/services replacement schemes and implement as appropriate, which could include minor design work and specification.
The ability to manage elements of a project through to completion and inspect the work of contractors and control project expenditure.
To have an understanding of Health and Safety requirements and CDM regulations.
To have an understanding of CAD systems.
The ability to work under pressure organise and prioritise work ensuring planned/unplanned maintenance programmes are met and customer demands accommodated.
To conduct surveys of update plans of Hospital Electrical Systems.
Collecting, collating and recording statistical information required for the calculation of performance and efficiency of building fabric, equipment and services.
Assist designated Estates Manager to identify and compile irregular maintenance schedules and produce 3 year irregular maintenance programme.
To operate and participate in a Permit to Work system.
Appointed person to HTM 06-02 Hospital low voltage systems for properties belonging to SWYPFT.
To understand the complete workings of the mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems in Trust properties.
To understand technical drawings of said systems.
To attend technical inspections and commissioning of new buildings.
To implement quality checks on completed work across estates and portering services. STAFFING AND TRAINING
Familiarise own knowledge of general technological developments on matters that may affect or be beneficial to areas of responsibility and be prepared to attend seminars or courses for this development.
Participate in induction procedures for staff already within the department.
To familiarise him/herself and operate the Trusts Grievances and Disciplinary policies.
The personnel management of all staff under his/her control, in accordance with agreed practice, including the direct supervision of subordinate staff.
To carry out staff appraisals and identify training needs.
To carry out Recruitment and Selection of new starters.
To authorise and sign overtime and mileage sheets. LIAISES WITH
Specialist Fire Safety Adviser
Head of Estates & Facilities
Senior Clinical Staff
Support Staff to all above MISCELLANEOUS
- To work closely with Ward Managers and work along side patients and have an understanding of their needs whilst carrying out duties.
- Establish good working relationships with all points of contact with estate users, ensuring they are kept informed about the progress of work as required.
- Driving hospital vehicles and plant as required (not H.G.V.).
- The postholder may be expected to participate in The out of hours on call rota which involves multi skilling across all trades, bringing you into contact with sewage and other bodily fluids (for which protective equipment must be worn).
- The Post holder will be expected to work at any properties throughout the Trust as instructed by the Estates and Facilities Co-ordinator.
- The postholder will on occasions be required to work overtime/change working hours if the need of service dictates.
- All Trust employees are expected to maintain existing skills and develop/receive training in new skills as required to carry out work of the Trust.
- To undergo training to become and authorised key holder for the Regional Secure Unit
- To ensure the appropriate use of safety and protective clothing and equipment, as required by good working practice and the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- To read understand and apply safety guidance notes, hazard letters, fire instructions and other such documents as issued to the postholder by Estates and Facilities Co-ordinator.
- It is the responsibility of all Trust employees to ensure that all duties are carried out in accordance with best practice Risk Management.
- All employees are expected to observe the Trusts Equal Opportunities Policy in their behaviour to the public and fellow employees.
For full Job Description, please see attachedin Supporting Documents.Person SpecificationPHYSICAL ATTRIBUTESEssential
- The content of this post will be reviewed in consultation with the postholder when necessary and in line with the service developments.
- Ability to undertake the duties and demands of the post. A satisfactory sickness record over the previous 2 years (subject to the need to act with fairness and equality of opportunity, particularly where the sickness is related to a disability and/or pregnancy).
- Car driver.
- Participate in on call rota.
- Educated to HNC/HND or equivalent (e.g. NVQ level 5). A formal training qualification in engineering and building services.
- Relevant Management professional qualification or equivalent.
- Authorised Person to HTM 06-02 low voltage
- Degree in Electrical/Mechanical or Building Engineering services.
- Corporate membership of professional body
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.