An excellent development opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and committed individual to gain specialised oncology skills in a clinical role. This is a permanent post based at the Fulham Road site, including rotation to Cavendish Square.
You will integrate into our extremely well-developed ward based multidisciplinary team assisting in medication reconciliation, TTO medicine supply, patient counselling and will facilitate discharges to ensure in-patients and day-unit patients are discharged in a timely manner with the correct medication and advice. Additional duties include the assessment of patients own drugs, audits, medication ordering, dispensing and checking of supplies.
There will be a requirement to participate in the 7-day working rota to ensure cost effective and efficient services are maintained throughout our patients stay.
Applicants must, be a registered Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council, hold a Medicine Optimisation qualification (HEE or equivalent) and be an accredited checking pharmacy technician or be working towards the ACPT qualification.
For further information, or to arrange an informal visit, please contact
Dani Burgess - Lead Pharmacy Technician Wards on 0207 352 8171 x 1971 or
Rudyard Lewis - Lead Pharmacy Technician (Dispensary/day units) - clinical services - on 0207 352 8171 x 1724Main duties of the job
- To develop, maintain and manage the safe, efficient and cost-effective supply of medicines to patients on day units and inpatient wards.
- To deliver quality care to patients at ward level through efficient medicines optimisation by undertaking the assessment of patient's own medication, medicines reconciliation, individual patient dispensing, discharge planning and patient education on medicines
- To support with clinical audits, data collection and implementation of developments to enhance the needs of the patient.
- To support the Lead Pharmacy technician & Lead Pharmacists Clinical Services with the delivery of any service developments associated with medicine management pharmacy service to meet local and national requirements.
- To participate with the dispensing, final checking and issuing of medicines to deliver a safe service.
- To support with the daily operational management of the dispensary
- To be the practice supervisor for trainee pharmacy staff when required.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.
- Work with the wards pharmacists in the provision of medicines optimisation initiatives according to departmental policies
- To be responsible for completing the medicine reconciliation process, assessing Patients Own Drugs (PODs), and ordering of medicines as an accredited medicines optimisation pharmacy technician.
- To support the implementation of self-administration by patients and/or carers where possible.
- To support the management of the medication supply pathway including the efficient transfer of medicines between wards.
- Participate with patient counselling by undertaking specific accreditations in order to carry out counselling for oral chemotherapy.
- To liaise with ward and pharmacy staff to resolve any technical queries or problems with patients, referring to ward pharmacist when required.
- Qualified Pharmacy Technician Registered with General Pharmaceutical Council
- Accredited Checking Pharmacy Technician (ACPT) qualification or working towards ACPT qualification.
- Medicines Optimisation qualification (HEE LaSE) or equivalent
- Practice Supervisor Course or equivalent
- Significant work experience (post qualification) in hospital pharmacy
- Awareness of training competency requirements for technical staff (Level 2 & 3)
- Experience in training and supervision of trainees
- Experience of final checking complex prescriptions e.g., oncology, paediatrics
- Experience of team leader or suitable management
- Working knowledge/experience of writing SOPs
- Oncology pharmacy experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Well-developed organisational, time management and planning skills ability to organise workload and work as part of a team
- Good communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal)
- Quality-oriented strives for continuous improvement.
- Ability to be supportive and demonstrate empathy in appropriate situations.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Computer literate
- Good leadership qualities: able to take responsibility and to delegate effectively
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Chelsea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.