Fancy working in a place where no 2 days are the same?
Then the Acute Assessment Unit is the place for you!
We are a newly set up 20 bedded unit working closely alongside the acute medical team to assess, treat and discharge patients within 24-48 hours of admission with appropriate follow up.
Our friendly, dynamic team require experienced registered nurses to lead and help develop our team.
We are looking for nurses at band 6 level. We want enthusiastic highly motivated nurses that can demonstrate a kind, caring and compassionate attitude with a desire to provide effective and efficient acute medical care.
Alongside this you will be coordinating a busy area which currently has on average a 50% discharge rate a day. You will need to manage the flow of these patients whilst supervising and supporting your colleagues on shift.
If you have applied within the last 6 months, please do not applyMain duties of the job
AAU receives admissions direct from ED which encompass a varied range of medical conditions. Patient flow can be fast paced with patients being discharged or admitted to speciality wards. Length of stay on the Unit is usually 24-48 hours meaning an ever changing caseload.
You will require effective admission, triage, assessment and discharge skills. As a band 6 leader, you will also require effective communication skills with your peers as well as patients and their relatives. You will be required to monitor the performance of your peers via appraisals and offering extra support. You will also support the senior management team in the continuity of the unit by assisting with audits, continuous improvement projects and leading with the trust values.About us
At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, we love our staff and can't thank them enough for being life-saving heroes on a daily basis, whether they're on the frontline or working behind the scenes, each member of our 7000-strong organisation plays an integral part in keeping our hospitals running successfully for our community.
Being a part of Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, in whatever capacity, means being a part of one big team. We think our staff are fantastic and are the real driving force behind making us such a great place to work, which is why we love to celebrate them at every opportunity.
We provide a full range of general hospital services to 390,000 people in Preston, Chorley and South Ribble, as well as specialist care to 1.5m people across the region.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationQualifications and ExperienceEssential
- Reporting to the shift in a timely manner and taking responsibility for your patient workload.
- Performing vital signs and escalating appropriately as per EWS score
- Venepuncture & Cannulation
- ECG recording
- BLS trained, ILS preferable.
- Using electronic profiles to monitor and record results from the unit and identify ways to improve if required.
- Coordinate shifts and be able to risk manage effectively.
- Monitor efficiency of the shift via missed medication reports, updating acuity of the unit regularly and escalating as appropiate
- Offer reassurance with patients / relatives if they have any concerns
- Appropriate NMC Registration
- RN1, RN2 General Nursing Posts
- Diploma in Nursing
- NMC recognised Mentorship qualification or willingness to work towards following 18 months commencement in post
- Evidence of continuing education or development for more experienced Band 5 nurses
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Advanced communication skills or willingness to undertake
- 2 years work experience in acute medicine
- Non medical prescribing or willingness to undertake
- Expanded clinical role eg IV additives, venepuncture and cannulation
- Awareness of changes within Nursing practice
- Knowledge of Clinical Governance and the relevance to practice
- Knowledge of relevant policies and procedures
- Demonstrates competency during internship
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Research and Development
- Knowledge of Leadership and Management
- Evidence of clinical competence in area of speciality
- Knowledge of ethical issues
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Preston Hospital
Sharoe Green Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.