Do you have an interest in gynaecology and women's health? The Gynaecology Department at St. Michael's Hospital is looking for a compassionate and dynamic registered Nurse who has an interest in developing their knowledge and skills within gynaecology.
Ward 78 is a 22 bedded inpatient ward which specialises in the treatment of a variety of gynaecological conditions, including early pregnancy complications such as ectopic pregnancy and hyperemesis, endometriosis, miscarriage and termination care.
St. Michael's is also the regional centre for gynaecological oncology. Ward 78 has a 4 bedded augmented care bay where patients who have undergone major curative and palliative surgery are cared for, often requiring complex analgesic techniques. The team also works very closely with the supportive and palliative care team to provide symptom management and end of life care. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced registered Nurses, with a current UK NMC pin, looking for full-time employment.Main duties of the job
Ward 78 is a direct admission ward, caring for patients receiving both medical and surgical treatments. We provide supportive care to those experiencing complications of early pregnancy, palliative care, and those undergoing major surgery for treatment of gynae oncology cancers. Your duties will include:
- Post-operative care for day case and Major surgical operations. Training to work in the augmented care bay with enhanced observations and pain assessment and management.
- Medical treatments for caring for patients with complications of early pregnancy including: hyperemesis, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy, and termination.
- Bereavement care for patients and relatives who require palliative care, or experiencing loss of pregnancy.
- Ambulatory care including the newly rolled out manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) service.
- Working closely alongside multidisciplinary teams that support the ward. This includes Gynae-oncology Cancer Specialist Nurses, Early Pregnancy Nurse and Midwife Practitioners, Theatre staff, Endometriosis Specialist Nurse, Pessary Nurse, Hysteroscopy and Colposcopy Nurse Practitioners.
- Supporting the Gynaecology Emergency Care clinic.About us
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description, main responsibilities, and person specification, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationSkills and AbilitiesEssential
- Good basic level of English language demonstrated through effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and use initiative
- Ability to develop own clinical skills and a willingness to participate in continuing professional development
- Competency in medication administration including IV drug administration or willingness to undergo training
- Basic IT skills (e.g. Microsoft packages)
- Ability to take the lead, initiate and ensure appropriate action in response to the deteriorating patient
- Interpersonal skills - Calm - Supportive - Motivated - Professional
- Willingness to develop teaching skills
- Able to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A team player
- Flexible working practices for 24 hour service
- General good health, Able to work on feet for long periods. Aware that the role can be stressful and emotional at times.
- Recognition of own limits
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Awareness of audit & research
- Able to manage difficult situations
- Experience of caring for sick patients in a variety of settings - this could be as a student -
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Previous experience of speciality
- Experience of taking charge
- RGN.1st Level or relevant children's qualification
- Current NMC Registration
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Relevant post registration course
- Training Qualification or equivalent experience
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
St Michael's Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.