Band 6 Specialist Speech and Language Therapist 37.5 Hours per week
An opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated speech and language therapist to join our Stroke team. This post is ideal for someone already working at Band 6 level or an experienced Band 5 ready to take the next steps in their career. Ideally you will have undertaken dysphagia training and have some experience of working in an acute setting. You will be a team player and confident of working in a busy multidisciplinary team.Main duties of the job
You will mainly contribute to the delivery of a high-quality service within the specialist area of stroke, with the opportunity to work across the stroke pathway, as part of a Band 6 rotation. Our pathway starts from the hyper-acute stage at The James Cook University Hospital, through to in-patient rehabilitation at the Redcar Primary Care Hospital and into the ESD team. It is anticipated that the postholder will initially start within the ESD service. As part of this role, you will also participate in a rota to deliver a 6 day service to the acute stroke unit. In addition, within future rotational opportunities, you will be able to further develop your dysphagia skills and clinical experience within the acute medical and surgical wards.
Regular support will be provided both from your line manager and through group clinical supervision. You will be encouraged to take an active role in service improvement (both within our own service and our wider healthcare teams), clinical governance and continuing professional development of self and others. You will support and mentor newly qualified therapists, rehabilitation assistants and students, and have the opportunity to be involved with attracting future candidates into the profession through participation in careers events and workshops.About usLeadership and Improvement Training
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust offers leadership and improvement training to all new staff to the Trust this training programme has been designed to support our leaders in developing their understanding of leadership and management skills. You will be expected to attend the leadership development programme, and the Quality Improvement Programme that the Trust delivers. This programme aims to
Explore leadership within the NHS
Promote Trust Values and Behaviours
Develop your Leadership effectiveness and skills
Practitioner level in quality improvement, equipping you with the skills to champion, lead and complete quality improvement within your role
After you complete this four and a half days of training you will be able to explore further leadership and improvement training opportunities, we offer further in-house courses dependent upon your role and bitesize programmes and leadership apprenticeships at level 3,5 and 7.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesPlease see the full job description and person specification document(s) for main responsibilities of the role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree and licence to practice as a Speech & Language Therapist as approved by the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists.
- State registration as a qualified Speech & Language Therapist with the Health & Care Professions Council.
- Registered member of the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists
- Significant post-graduate experience of working with adults with acquired communication and swallowing disorders including after stroke.
- Post-graduate dysphagia training
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team.
Knowledge and skillsEssential
- Experience of carrying out videofluoroscopic evaluation of swallowing
- Experience of audit
- Experience of supervising assistants and students
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Highly developed communication and listening skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills in order to make judgements about managing complex clients.
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The James Cook University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.