BCUHB are seeking candidates for the role of Director of Corporate Governance, to sit within the Health Board's executive team, who has a substantial track record of governance delivery in a senior leadership role. The post holder will be the principal governance advisor to the Board, the Chief Executive and the Executive team, ensuring all governance is complied with and the Board acts fairly, with integrity, and without prejudice or discrimination, in all its dealings.
This is an exciting opportunity to fill a critical role in the largest health organisation in Wales. BCUHB has a budget of �1.8 billion and a workforce of over 19,000 staff, we provide primary, community, mental health and acute hospital services across North Wales.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will play a key role in protecting and enhancing the reputation of the Health Board, and will manage Health Board wide projects at the direction and leadership of the Chief Executive. They will contribute to the development of an organisational culture that embodies NHS values and standards of behaviour and compassionate leadership.
In addition to holding the expected qualifications and have significant experience for this senior role, the successful candidate will have experience of establishing highly effective relationships with a range of stakeholders, including Board & Committee members whilst understand the broader strategic and policy context for delivery of health services in Wales. It is important the post holder has a clear understanding of the Welsh Government's standards and possess strong influencing and negotiating skills.About us
If you relish a challenge, have a passion to help others or simply fancy a fresh start, then Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) North Wales, has all the right ingredients. The largest health organisation in Wales, providing a full range of primary, community, mental health, acute and elective hospital services for a population of around 700,000, across North Wales . Join our team and get the support you need, in line with our Organisational Values and 'Proud to Lead' competence framework.
Enjoy being part of working with engaged leadership at all levels, and be assured we are committed to promoting equality and diversity, and are proud to welcome applicants under the Disability Confident Employer scheme.
Please check your email account regularly. Successful applicants will receive all recruitment related correspondence via the email account registered on the application form.
Applications may be submitted in Welsh. Applications submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Carol Shillabeer (interim CEO) for an informal conversation about the role. Applications are invited online by the strict closing date of 26th November 2023 (midnight). Shortlisting is anticipated the following week, and the selection process is likely to take place week commencing 11th December 2023.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- oEducated to Masters Degree level or equivalent post graduate qualification or equivalent senior level experience.
- oThorough understanding and able to demonstrate advanced specialist insight into the codes of governance, statutory and regulatory framework, key legislation, policy and regulations applicable to Health Boards and the wider NHS in Wales.
- oUnderstanding of the broader strategic and policy context for delivery of health services in Wales.
- oA clear understanding of the Welsh Government's standards of good governance for the public sector in Wales.
- oDemonstrable understanding of Health Boards strategic, operational, financial, and management challenges and requirements.
- oA thorough understanding of all current issues relating to health service strategic development and health service management.
- oExcellent knowledge of relevant government legislation, guidelines and law.
- oExtensive knowledge over a range of disciplines e.g. Planning, HR, Finance and Governance underpinned by specialist courses or equivalent experience. This level of knowledge would have been obtained over a significant period of senior management posts held within an NHS organisation.
- oKnowledge and understanding of the communities served by BCUHB.
- oCurrent knowledge of the leadership and management context of the NHS, and of systems for delivering excellence in health services.
- oMembership of the Chartered Governance Institute, an appropriate qualification awarded by Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) in governance, or equivalent qualification or experience.
- oEvidence of and a demonstrated commitment to personal continual professional development.
Aptitude and abilitiesEssential
- oExperience of leading NHS Organisation wide policy formation and line with legislation, regulation and national policy
- oSignificant experience of working at Board level and experience advising a Board of Directors on matters of governance, compliance and best practice.
- oSignificant experience of developing governance and assurance. arrangements at an organisational level
- oConsiderable experience of quality monitoring of high-level submissions to the Board.
- oSubstantial track record of delivering in a senior leadership role with at least two years experience in a similar position.
- oExpertise in Programme and Project Management.
- oSubstantial recent experience of working to implement Board compliance and assurance.
- oIn depth experience of working within corporate governance frameworks.
- oExceptional communication skills, able to express complicated, multi stranded concepts in an accessible way, both verbally and in writing.
- oA proven track record of building personal and professional credibility, maintaining confidence and establishing highly effective relationships with a range of stakeholders including Board & Committee members, management and staff.
- oExperience of effective collaborative working with other statutory, voluntary or private sector organisations.
- oExperience of operating within a complex environment.
- oExperience of managing teams effectively.
- oProven leadership skills.
- oSkilled in Change management and Organisational Development techniques
- oThe intellect and interpersonal skills to command the respect of board members, regulatory bodies and stakeholders.
- oAble to identify and manage critical issues and priorities and make tough decisions
- oProven ability to think and act strategically and articulate complex legal, statutory and other requirements clearly and succinctly
- oExcellent written and verbal presentation and communications skills.
- oSufficient resilience to cope with difficult interpersonal situations, competing demands and tight timescales
- oHigh level of influencing, negotiation and presentation skills, confident in ability to present information publicly using a variety of media in different settings including emotionally charged atmospheres.
- oAble to organise, write and present formal papers to the Board on highly complex legal and regulatory matters.
- oProven skills in persuading, negotiating, motivating and leading people not directly managed to get results.
- oA clear commitment to uphold the Values and Standards of Behaviour set for BCUHB and NHS in Wales.
- oEvidence of holding to a clear strategy and set of values while responding appropriately to short-term challenges and priorities.
- oCapacity to be independent, innovative and resilient
- oEvidence of sound judgement, objectivity, integrity and sensitivity
- oCommitted to the continuous development of staff and self
- oAble to learn from experience and adapt to changes and new challenges
- oPersonal attributes include emotional intelligence and communication skills, resilience, determination, rigour and organisation.
- oAgility and flexibility to respond to changing conditions while remaining clear-sighted on corporate strategies and objectives.
- oA proven track record of excellent performance under pressure.
- oHighly flexible, professional and demonstrable clear commitment to delivery.
- oHighly developed problem-solving, interpersonal, analytical, presentational, and communication skills
- oAble to build constructive relationships with stakeholders to achieve results.
- oWelsh language skills or the willingness to learn is desirable - there is significant inhouse support available
- oAble to work flexibly
- oAbility to travel to different sites across the health board in a timely manner.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oRequired to demonstrate and embed the Values and Behaviour Statements in order for them to become an integral part of the post holder's working life and to embed the principles into the culture of the organisation
- oCommitted to Compassionate Leadership
- oA values and positive behavioural approach
- oAppetite for hard work and challenges
- oShow resilience, stamina and reliability under sustained pressure, never losing sight of objectives,
- oHigh level of personal integrity
- oEnthusiastic, committed, proactive and innovative
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health BoardAddress
BCUHB Headquarters, Carlton Court
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.