We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Biomedical Scientist with expertise in all aspects of Microbiology and to serve as the Training Lead for the department. You must be HCPC registered and possess an MSc degree or equivalent.
As a Senior Biomedical Scientist, the post holder is responsible for the day-to-day operation of sections within the department, performing a wide range of highly specialized and diagnostic techniques to deliver a fit-for-purpose laboratory service. These tasks include analysis, technical validation, interpretive decision-making, and clinical reporting for effective patient management and quality of service. This requires the post holder to communicate with others, including those of their grade, more senior staff, clinicians, and service users.
The post holder will have full responsibility for training in the department and will be required to undertake their responsibilities within any of the sections of the department this may be on a rotational basis to maintain skills in different areas. They will be expected to maintain competency and specialist knowledge for the work therein and must be able to train and motivate staff.
The laboratory's goal is to implement policies and procedures, all working towards a UKAS ISO-accredited Laboratory.Main duties of the job
To understand the role in more detail, please read the attached job description and person specification.About us
Thank you for your interest in this role.
Sherwood is nationally recognised as being an excellent place to work and deliver care. We are rightly proud of the 5,500 colleagues who work here, and we are the Health Service Journal's Trust of the Year in 2020.
The Care Quality Commission rated King's Mill Hospital Outstanding and Newark, and Mansfield Community Hospitals Good. Overall, we are rated Outstanding for care.
For the last three years, we have been ranked as the best NHS Trust to work for in the Midlands and in 2020 we were the third best Acute/Community NHS Trust in England.
Happy colleagues deliver better care. Our teams work in a supportive, inclusive environment, which nurtures wellbeing and has opportunities for development and progression. We do not just care for our patients we also care for you.
Our culture of learning, compassion and taking a person-centred approach are at the roots of our organisation. We would love you to join us.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To understand the role in more detail, please read the attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationKnowledge RequirementsEssential
- Relevant theoretical / practical / scientific knowledge to underpin the technical aspect of a laboratory service.
- Knowledge of screening programmes, specifically the IDPS.
- Ability to organise work and meet deadlines
- Good Technical and communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot problems under pressure
- Ability to cope with difficult situations and pressures I.T. skills
Desirable Further TrainingEssential
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered Biomedical Scientist.
- Biomedical Science Degree (BSc) or equivalent acceptable by Health Professions Council.
- MSc or equivalent Postgraduate qualification e.g. FIBMS
- Participates in Continued Professional Development (CPD).
- Significant specialist training in a clinical laboratory during which time sufficient knowledge has been acquired to demonstrate competence in the portfolio of specialist training.
- Experience of serology and molecular techniques
Employer detailsEmployer name
- 37.5 hours per week
- 5 days out of 7
- Participation in the out -of-hours on - call service
Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Kings Mill Hospital
Mansfield Road, Sutton In Ashfield
Sutton In Ashfield
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.