A Full Time permanent position has arisen at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust for an Advanced Biomedical Scientist based in the Microbiology Laboratory at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary in Lancashire.This is a challenging opportunity to work with an experienced team of Advanced Biomedical Scientists, Specialist/Registered Biomedical Scientists, Healthcare Science Associate Practitioners and Healthcare Science Assistants providing a high quality, efficient Microbiology service. You will be a key member of the department able to promote good practice and influence service development to improve patient care.The Microbiology laboratories across UHMBT work closely together utilising common analytical platforms and IT systems and the department is committed to continuous development and quality improvement. Main duties of the job
The department is dedicated to developing the next generation of Biomedical Scientists supporting several trainee Biomedical Scientists and further developing Registered and Specialist Biomedical Scientists to advance their careers, education, knowledge and skills. In addition, the UHMBT Pathology service supports local universities offering placements to undergraduate students.
This appointment will be to University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, however candidates should be aware that UHMBT is part of a pathology collaboration project.
Four provider organisations in L& SC have committed to form a network and collaborate on pathology services, including Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust.About us
We operate from three main hospitals - Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI), and Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
FGH and the RLI have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
- Biomedical Sciences (Hons) degree or equivalent qualification
- HCPC registration
- Specialist portfolio or equivalent experience
- MSc/FIBMS or equivalent postgraduate qualification
- Highly developed technical and scientific skills
- Proven ability to manage resources effectively
- Evidence of highly developed written and oral communication skills in a variety of settings.
- Quality management experience
- Experience of delivering specialist training
Skills, ability and knowledgeEssential
- NHS or other public sector experience
- Understanding and awareness of the Standards for accreditation of medical laboratories
- Experience of supervising a team
- Ability to build a cohesive team by encouraging a positive approach to new working skills
- Highly developed communication skills including report writing, presentation, facilitation and influencing skills
- Effective personal and time management skills with ability to manage conflicting priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent IT skills, with experience of Microsoft Office suite and computerised Pathology systems
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships at all levels
- Meticulous, ensuring accurate data input and calculations
- Ability to deal with information sensitively and confidentially
- Effective customer focused skills with a professional and approachable manner
- Demonstrable analytical problem solving skills and experience
- Experience in a large multidisciplinary organisation
- Ability to comply with Trust policy and procedures
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to travel between Trust sites
- Demonstrate flexibility in approach to work patterns
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS TrustAddress
Royal Lancaster Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.