Biomedical Scientist- Band 5/6
We have a post in Haematology/Blood Transfusion available for a Biomedical Scientist at Band 5 or Specialist Biomedical Scientist at Band 6.
If you are looking for a Specialist BMS or BMS position with a desire to work as part of one of the largest NHS led Pathology Services in the South of England, we can offer:
- Innovative practices.
- Strong, personal, and professional development.
- A laboratory at the forefront of the national Modernising Pathology agenda.
- Forward thinking and team orientated staff.
We can help you to achieve these by supporting your development by providing access to courses up to and including master's degree. In addition, we support development of staff with internal and external courses for management, Health & Safety and Quality management.Main duties of the job
- To ensure personal competency in all areas of Haematology and Blood Transfusion.
- To work towards being specialised in an area of Blood Sciences, to meet the knowledge and the competency level of a Specialist Practitioner, via a recognised portfolio route or equivalent experience.
- To highly use specialist knowledge, interpretive skills, complex analysers and I.T. to deliver blood sciences Service to our users.
- To recommend and perform tests in the specialised areas of Haematology and Blood Transfusion.
- To perform the initial screening and further investigation of specialist diagnostic tests producing complex quality diagnostic results to aid patient treatment and care.
- To authorise reports as directed by department procedures and guidelines.
- To train other staff as required and directed.
- To work in such a way to ensure the most effective use of non-pay resources to contribute to the efficiency of the departmental budgets and maintain the competitive advantage of the departments service.
The successful candidate will be expected to participate on the Shift rota which will include nights and weekends.About us
Our laboratory has accreditation for UKAS ISO:15189 and is also accredited with, MHRA, and is accredited as a training laboratory by the IBMS for both registration and specialist portfolios leading to HCPC registration.
Reading sits on the River Thames and is served by great road and rail links to London, Oxford, and Southampton. With excellent leisure and shopping facilities, and a thriving cultural scene, Reading is a wonderful place to live, work, and play and provides excellent facilities for families, including some of the best state and private schools in the UK.
The CQC recently rated the care provided by the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust as Good.
xcellent, reflect the type of Trust we aspire to be and you can join our dedicated and talented staff to make this happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will work in rotation within the Haematology and Blood Transfusion department participating on the out of hours shift rota. The laboratory is well equipped with Sysmex XN10s, Stagos, and Immucor Neos.
Band 5 applicants will be supported to do the specialist portfolio and on completion be upgraded to Band 6.
Please refer to the job description and person specification.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- HCPC registered
- Evidence of CPD
- Minimum one year relevant experience
- MSC in Haematology or Blood Transfusion
- Worked in a Haematology / Blood Transfusion Laboratory as a stated registered BMS
- Participated on out of hours rota
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of Audits and quality management systems
Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Berkshire Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.