Clatterbridge Cancer Centre is seeking to appoint a Head of Patient Safety to lead, manage and develop all aspects of patient safety including the Patient Safety Incident Response Framework (PSIRF). The post holder will develop, lead, implement and sustain an effective Trust patient safety strategy at both a strategic and operational level in line with the national patient safety strategy. They will also oversee the process of patient safety investigations, learning, assurance mechanisms, patient safety/quality improvement projects and monitoring effectiveness to.
This role will provide the successful candidate with an opportunity to establish and develop a high performing patient safety function across a multiple site organisation that is part of and supported by an ambitious Clinical Governance & Patient Safety Directorate.Main duties of the job
- To be the Trust's patient safety expert leading, managing and developing all aspects of patient safety including the Patient Safety Incident Response Framework (PSIRF).
To continuously improve patient safety through implementation of the NHSE/I Patient Safety Strategy /National Patient Safety Strategy ensuring alignment with the Quality Strategy leading the implementation PSIRF.
Management of the process of patient safety investigations, learning, assurance mechanisms, patient safety/quality improvement projects and monitoring effectiveness.
To support governance mechanisms so that Divisional staff manage patient safety investigations and implementation of learning and its effectiveness. To ensure there are effective safety reporting mechanisms and engagement with external stakeholders including the National Reporting and Learning System, NHS England and commissioners. To produce assurance reporting on the patient safety management and its links with learning and quality improvement.
The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre NHS Foundation Trust provides highly-specialist cancer care for a population of 2.4 million people across Cheshire & Merseyside, North Wales, the Isle of Man and parts of Lancashire.
In June 2020, we opened Clatterbridge Cancer Centre - Liverpool, our spectacular new cancer hospital in the heart of Liverpool's Knowledge Quarter, providing state-of-the-art facilities as part of a �162m investment. Alongside our flagship hospital in Liverpool, we also have two other main cancer centres:
- Clatterbridge Cancer Centre - Wirral, providing outpatient cancer treatment and supportive care on the Clatterbridge Health Campus in Bebington, Wirral
- Clatterbridge Cancer Centre - Aintree, our radiotherapy treatment centre on the Aintree University Hospital site
Together, working across three sites and operating specialist chemotherapy clinics in four of Merseyside's district hospitals, we deliver a comprehensive range of inpatient care, advanced radiotherapy, chemotherapy and other systemic anti-cancer therapies including gene therapies and immunotherapies.
We also deliver a pioneering Treatment at Home and Work service, are the only facility in the UK providing low-energy proton beam therapy to treat rare eye cancers, and host the region's Teenage and Young Adult Unit.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Develop, lead, implement and sustain an effective patient safety strategy in line with the national patient safety strategy at both a strategic and operational level.
- Be named Patient Safety Specialist within the Trust.
- Ensure that patient safety is informing the Trusts Quality Strategy programmes, alongside mechanisms for evaluating effectiveness.
- Develop, lead and manage the Patient Safety Quality Improvement Plan supported by a project plan and formal programme of work.
- Ensure the design and delivery of patient safety training enabling staff to undertake safety review investigations, SMART action planning for learning and monitoring effectiveness of improvements to patient safety.
- Work closely with Risk Manager to ensure divisional level patient safety reporting and learning via Datix and from root cause analysis investigations (SIs etc).
- Participate in and design learning mechanisms across the Trust.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of policies and SOPs, updates and monitoring their effectiveness within subject matter.
Desirable Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Masters Degree or equivalent post graduate qualification or equivalent knowledge or experience in an associated subject matter.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrable recent experience as a senior manager within an NHS organisation managing patient safety.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of patient safety within the NHS.
- Knowledge and experience of learning and assurance mechanisms and reporting.
- Sound knowledge base of the NHS, its values and operational framework
- Experience of development, implementation and monitoring of action plans.
- Experience of devising training and development plans to support sustainable change.
The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre NHSFTAddress
The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre Liverpool
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.