The position advertised is for a Ward Sister/Charge Nurse to work as part of the team on Women's Health Suite, William Harvey Hospital.
Within the department there is a short stay area with three trolleys, an early pregnancy unit and a gynaecology assessment unit that offers emergency scanning by our nurse specialist sonographer.
The role will involve looking after Gynaecology & Gynae-Oncology patients as well as elective and emergency admissions and cover of the Early Pregnancy Unit.
Women's Health Suite is managed by the Ward Manager and assisted by a team of Band 6 nurses. We have a wide variety of staff working on the ward from Band 2s to Band 7s. The ward is overseen by the Gynaecology Matron.
As a team we are committed to teaching and work hard to provide a positive learning environment. We are keen to support individualised development of knowledge and skills to enable our staff to reach their full potentials and feel a valued member of the team.Main duties of the job
To manage the ward as the Nurse in charge on a shift, act as a role model for all staff and advocate and support for women. In addition to support the Ward manager in their role by taking on specified roles and responsibilities that allow the ward to function at a high standard and support the staff in this busy Unit, both professionally and personally.
The ward is a fast paced environment with a high turnover of patients. The work can be challenging but very rewarding. We aim to provide a high standard of nursing care to the Women of East Kent.
An ideal candidate would have a minimum of 2 years of gynaecology experience, leadership skills, a team player, flexible, and passionate about enhancing the patients experience on the ward or in our services. Excellent communications skills are essential and the ability to deal with highly emotional and sensitive situations due to the nature of our work.About us
We are one of the largest hospital trusts in England, with fivehospitals and community clinics serving a local population of around 800,000 people. Our vision is 'great healthcare from great people'. Everything we do is guided by our values: 'People feel cared for, safe, respected and confident that we are making a difference'. We have a new way of working at East Kent Hospitals, called 'We care'. It's about empowering frontline staff to lead improvements day-to-day. We're looking for compassionate people to be part of our improvement journey for the patients, families and carers we care for every day.
Applications for this role should be written by the applicant. If artificial intelligence (AI) programmes are used then the application may be rejected due to this document being an important part of the assessment process. This does not prevent applicants seeking appropriate support with applications should they need to for the purposes of any declared disability.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please scroll down to access the full Job Description and Person Specification located in Documents to download.
If you have further queries please dont hesitate to contact the line manager using the contact details below.Person SpecificationQualifications & trainingEssential
- Degree in Nursing or relevant clinical experience & current Registration on the NMC register
- Ongoing professional development
- Practice assessor qualification or equivalent.
- Evidence of facilitating learning in practice
- Previous experience at Band 6 within speciality
- Evidence of on-going personal + professional development
Clinical Skills & experienceEssential
- Position may involve occasional inter-site travel.
- Current understanding of key issues facing the NHS both locally and Nationally.
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively.
- Calm under pressure. Good interpersonal skills.
- Basic counselling skills
- Effective Time Management and Organisational skills.
- Leadership skills and Team management skills
- Data collection and audit skills.
- A minimum of 2 years as a Gynaecology Nurse at band 5/6
- Good knowledge of Gynaecology Disorders and issues in Women's Health
- Working knowledge of Adult and Child Safeguarding procedures
- Demonstrates patient focused approach. Delivery of evidence based practice
Personal & professional attributesEssential
- Management skills
- Nurse prescribing skills
- Appraisal training
- Organising and managing Clinics
- Leadership course
- oAbility to work on own initiative using sound decision-making and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Remains calm under pressure
- Ability to motivate and develop clinical staff to their full potential
- Positive and flexible attitude to working in the NHS
- Understanding of the elements relating to clinical governance and risk management, ensuring appropriate monitoring systems are in place
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Manage ward-based risks on risk register.
- Datix training
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
William Harvey Hospital
Kennington Road, Willesborough
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.