Owing to a maternity leave, we are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced person to join our stroke inpatient team as a Band 6 Occupational Therapist for 12 months. The post is based on the hyper acute and acute stroke wards at Southmead Hospital [HASU/ASU].
Experience of working within a stroke clinical specialty is desirable, preferably in an acute inpatient setting. Staff supervision and student educator experience will also be an advantage. This advert may close early, if we have received sufficient applications. Therefore you are highly advised to apply as soon as possible if you are interested in this position.Main duties of the job
Recent stroke pathway changes in the locality have enabled the creation of step down stroke rehab units outside the acute setting, and an enhanced community stroke therapy service [integrating existing early supported discharge teams].
The acute team at Southmead hospital are an integral part of this pathway, working closely with community colleagues to ensure appropriate assessments and interventions to enable effective and timely transfer from hospital. The Occupational Therapy team currently have an 'A' rating on the Sentinel Stroke National Audit Programme latest results.
You will experience close multidisciplinary working within a very supportive team. There are many opportunities for engagement in both service and staff development. Staff and student supervision is also part of the role. Roster patterns include regular weekend working.About us
North Bristol NHS Trust is a specialist centre for acute stroke where thrombolysis, thrombectomy and other emergency care is provided to patients from across the region. The service has strong links to other specialities within neurosciences.
The services are based within the award winning Brunel building at Southmead Hospital which has excellent facilities including therapy rooms, a large ADL kitchen and purpose designed splint room. The wards have 75% single rooms, which are equipped with overhead tracking hoists, ensuite toilets and level access showers. Staff are also well catered for with benefits including a staff restaurant with roof terrace, cycle centre and wellbeing support.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To provide a high standard occupational therapy service to inpatients referred to the specialty team.
- Use specialised skills to provide a comprehensive Occupational Therapy service to patients, some of whom will have complex needs.
- To ensure service provision is prioritised and service delivery is effective within resources available.
- To provide leadership for junior and support staff through supervision.
- To participate in the planning, development and evaluation of Occupational Therapy services within a designated team, holding responsibility for defined department projects.
- To contribute to the maintenance and development of the Occupational Therapy service.
- To train and supervise occupational therapy students on practice placement.
- Diploma/Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Student Educator - experience/qualification (or within one year)
- Post registration experience as an OT
- Post registration experience in related clinical specialties
- Documented CPD
- Experience of research or audit
- Experience of supervising staff
Personal QualitiesEssential Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective written skills
- IT skills
North Bristol NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.