MSU Psychology are seeking a CBT therapist to provide highly specialised therapy services at Rowan View including the provision of specialist psychological assessment and intervention. To offer advice and consultation on patient's psychological care to non-psychologist colleagues and to other, non-professional carers, working autonomously within professional guidelines and the overall framework of the service's policies and procedures. To utilise research skills for audit, policy and service development and research within the area in which the post holder works.
The MSU Psychology Service have a trauma informed model of care for all service users and staff in Rowan View. The team provide care to both men and women throughout their stay in MSU priding themselves on being a transdiagnostic service with regard to assessment, formulation, and interventions for trauma and distress. In line with this, the team have specialist understanding of neuropsychological assessment, risk assessments, attachment and early development, and systemic issues. They also have specialist knowledge of working with people with a Learning Disability, people who are neurodivergent and people who identify as transgender. Further to this, the team also work closely alongside an MDT and Ward staff to provide psychological consultation and Joint Thinking Spaces enhancing the psychological understanding of individual service users and promoting psychological well-being amongst staff.Main duties of the job
To provide specialist assessments of patients based upon the appropriate use, interpretation and integration of complex data from a variety of sources including psychological and neuropsychological tests, self report measures, rating scales, direct and indirect structured observations and semi-structured interviews with patients, family members and others involved in the patients care.
To formulate and implement plans for the formal psychological treatment and/or management of a patient's problems, based upon an appropriate conceptual framework of the patient's problems based on cognitive behavioural models, and employing methods based upon evidenceof efficacy, across the full range of care settings.To implement a range of Cognitive Behaviour Interventions for individuals, and groups whilst adjusting and refining psychological formulations drawing upon CBT and other explanatory models and maintaining a number of provisional hypotheses.To evaluate and make decisions about treatment options taking into account both theoretical and therapeutic models and highly complex factors concerning historical and developmental processes that have shaped the individual, family or group.About us
Mersey Care is one of the largest trusts providing physical health and mental health services in the North West, serving more than 11 million people.
We offer specialist inpatient and community services that support physical and mental health and specialist inpatient mental health, learning disability, addiction and brain injury services. Mersey Care is one of only three trusts in the UK that offer high secure mental health facilities.
At the heart of all we do is our commitment to 'perfect care' - care that is safe, effective, positively experienced, timely, equitable and efficient. We support our staff to do the best job they can and work alongside service users, their families, and carers to design and develop future services together. We're currently delivering a programme of organisational and service transformation to significantly improve the quality of the services we provide and safely reduce cost as we do so.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Clinical1. To provide specialist assessments of patients based upon the appropriate use, interpretation and integration of complex data from a variety of sources including psychological and neuropsychological tests, self report measures, rating scales, direct and indirect structured observations and semi-structured interviews with patients, family members and others involved in the patients care.2. To formulate and implement plans for the formal psychological treatment and/or management of a patients problems, based upon an appropriate conceptual framework of the patients problems based on cognitive behavioural models, and employing methods based upon evidenceof efficacy, across the full range of care settings.3. To implement a range of Cognitive Behaviour Interventions for individuals, carers, families and groups, within and across teams, whilst adjusting and refining psychological formulations drawingupon CBT and other explanatory models and maintaining a number of provisional hypotheses.4. To evaluate and make decisions about treatment options taking into account both theoretical and therapeutic models and highly complex factors concerning historical and developmental processes that have shaped the individual, family or group.5. To exercise autonomous professional responsibility for the assessment, treatment and discharge of patients whose problems are managed by specialised, individualised psychologically based [standard] care plans.6. To provide specialist psychological advice, guidance and consultation to other professionals contributing directly to patients formulation, diagnosis and treatment plan.
7. To contribute directly and indirectly to a psychological based framework of understanding and care to the benefit of all patients of the service, across all settings and agencies serving the patientgroup. This will include sharing in multi-disciplinary decision making about the degree and risk posed by patients, both within the Hospital and any proposed movement to conditions of lesser security.8. To communicate, in a skilled and sensitive manner, information concerning the assessment, formulation and treatment plans of patients under their care and to monitor progress during the course of both uni- and multidisciplinary care.Teaching, Training and Supervision9. Cognitive Behavioural Therapist to receive regular clinical professional supervision from a Senior Clinical Psychologist and, or where appropriate, other senior professional colleagues.10. To continue to gain wider post qualification experience of cognitive behavioural therapy over and above that provided within the principal service area where the postholder is employed.11. To provide clinical supervision of Assistant/ Graduate Psychologists and, as appropriate, to contribute to the supervision of individual cases for Trainee Clinical Psychologists.12. To contribute to the pre and post qualification teaching of clinical and/or counselling psychology, as appropriate, and cognitive behavioural therapy in particular.13. To provide advice, consultation and training in cognitive behavioural therapy to staff working with the patient group across a range of agencies and settings, where appropriatePerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g., Nursing, social work, etc.) and an accredited post graduate qualification in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy o UKCP or BACP or BAPCP Accredited (or equivalent) o Registered with the HCPC or professional regulatory body
Knowledge and experienceEssential
- Experience of working with complex models of therapy for CBT (e.g., CBT for psychosis, EMDR A
- At least two years post qualification experience of working as a CBT therapist with clients with complex mental health needs
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of specialised psychological therapies in specific difficult to treat groups (e.g., personality disorder, dual diagnoses, psychosis and people with additional disabilities etc.)
- Well developed assessment skills incorporating a range of methodologies, e.g., clinical interview, psychometrics, structured clinical tools
Knowledge and experienceEssential
- Experience of working with people with a learning disability
- orking as part of a multidisciplinary team, undertaking specialist assessment, formulation, care planning and interventions
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge and experience of assessment of risk within forensic mental health settings
Mersey Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Rowan View MSU
Maghull Health Park
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.