This is an exciting opportunity for a Data Engineer to join our dynamic Imperial Clinical Analytics, Research & Evaluation (iCARE) team. As part of the iCARE NHS team, you will directly contribute to the delivery of a translational portfolio of projects within the Digital Health theme of the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) Imperial Biomedical Research Centre, and Paddington Life Sciences initiative, spanning translational data analytics, Artificial Intelligence and Real-World Evidence. You will be part of a data engineering team delivering projects and interventions that make a genuine contribution to improving health at person and population level.
You will play an integral part in the further evolution of the Imperial Biomedical Research Centre's Azure based NHS Secure Data Environment. Working in our iCARE NHS data-engineering unit you will support the delivery and curation of huge volumes healthcare and other data using our advanced technology and systems.
Based in our brand new Digital Collaboration Space at St Mary's hospital you will work with world-class clinicians, data scientists, researchers, data engineers and informaticans to address priorities to respond to the needs and preferences of our patients, staff and local community towards social purpose and care equity during the ongoing digital transformation of the NHS.Main duties of the job
You are a driven and motivated data engineer or developer looking for a rewarding and challenging position within a team of world-class data engineers and data scientists. You will develop and manage one of largest and most granular health data lake/warehouses globally, used by hundreds of researchers and analysts to produce innovative outputs.
As a member of our iCARE NHS team, you will support the development of highly complex ETL and ELT processes to manage curation of data in our Azure Secure Data Environment (ADF, DBT, Snowflake, Azure DevOps and Azure ML).
You will used your advanced technical skills, coding best practice (versioning, error handling, logging, monitoring, validation and alerting), knowledge of NHS data and experience accessing clinical system's databases (ideally Cerner Millennium or similar secondary care EHR system) to contribute to a wide variety of projects delivering insights from large datasets to generate robust evidence of patient and health service benefit.
You will work with clinicians, researchers and analysts to curate complex data to meet user requirements that support research, analytics and direct care benefits to patients.
You will be willing to learn about and use novel data types and have a good programming background (e.g. python/java etc.) to support advanced data analytics, machine learning and AI use cases using our highly granular and unique datasetsAbout us
At Imperial College Healthcare you can achieve extraordinary things with extraordinary people, working with leading clinicians pushing boundaries in patient care. Become part of a vibrant team living our values - expert, kind, collaborative and aspirational. You'll get an experience like no other and will fast forward your career.
Benefits include career development, flexible working and wellbeing, staff recognition scheme. Make use of optional benefits including Cycle to work, car lease schemes, season ticket loan or membership options for onsite leisure facilities. We encourage staff to have the Covid vaccination to protect themselves, patients, other colleagues as well as the wider community.
Please note it is an operational requirement to comply with infection prevention and control procedures within the Trust such as lateral flow testing, handwashing and the wearing of masks, according to the procedures in place at any time or location.
As part of our continued response to Covid19 we are still conducting the majority of our interviews virtually.
We welcome discussions about flexible working and encourage a range of flexible working opportunities wherever we can.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both overviews please view the Job Description attachment with the job advert.Person SpecificationEducation/QualificationsEssential
- Degree in relevant field
- Prince II
- ITIL certification
- 3 Years experience in Data Warehouse development and Maintenance
- Database management and administration experience
- Experience of working with very large datasets (ideally NHS or healthcare)
- IT Project Management knowledge and experience
- Developing SSIS packages
- Use of SQL server 2014 - 2019
- Experience Metadata management and documentation
- Experience of NHS (or other healthcare) systems and processes
- Strong knowledge of either Snowflake, SSIS, ADF, or DBT
- Knowledge of different data types, structured and unstructured including XML, JSON
- Advanced SQL knowledge Good knowledge of data modelling, database structures and process
- Good understanding of technology and systems applications
- ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) knowledge
- Good presentation skills to allow effective communication during meetings, conferences, workshops and seminars
- Ability to communicate effectively to ensure that complex technical requirements can be understood by non-technical audiences
- Good Knowledge of NHS data structures, coding systems and data dictionary
- Agile project management
- Software development frameworks and version control
- OLAP Technology
- Knowledge of data warehouse
- Knowledge of QlikView/tableau or similar
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Good analytical skills for spotting or anticipating weaknesses in processes (manual or system), along with the ability to organise and implement correction
- Attention to detail
- Ability to complete tasks in full detail
- Good organisation and prioritization skills
- Manage Agency staff and IT consultant's workload.
- Ability to work under pressure
Imperial College Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
St Mary's Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.