The Paediatric Gastrostomy Service at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children is responsible for the care of children and young people with a gastrostomy. On average around 250 children and young people require insertion of a gastrostomy or gastrojejunostomy feeding device each year.
We have a busy referral inpatient service and work with our specialty colleagues supporting inpatient/ outpatient care and regional community care.
The Clinical Nurse specialist will lead on this nurse-led service, bringing together expertise in gastrostomy and gastrojejunostomy feeding. The service will ensure thestreamlining of gastrostomy care from referral to a seamless discharge, liaising with multiple healthcare professionals.
Within a Trust that has been recently awarded 'Good by the CQC, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children (BRHC) is an established and cutting-edge Children's Hospitals.
We are in the centre of the largest city in the southwest Population of 449,300 It is located 90 minutes from London Easy access to nearby cities, beaches and rolling landscapes. It boasts beautiful Georgian architecture, gritty graffiti and harbour side living. It is bursting with character and provides the perfect work-life balance.
Our Hospital is supported by two proactive charities, Above and Beyond and The Grand Appeal.The city of Bristol is frequently voted a top destination in the UK and Europe to live and visit.Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will
- Be able to act as a leader and a role model.
- Approach the role flexibly.
- Have experience in organisation, leadership, management, and clinical responsibilities.
- Be able to and have experience working autonomously.
- Work well in a multi professional team.
- Be able to develop resources for teaching healthcare professionals and carers.
The role will support and act as an advocate for families and patients, to be a point of contact and improve the quality of the service.
Interview will take place Friday 1st December 2023About us
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationKnowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Thorough and up to date knowledge of nursing theory and best practice particularly within speciality area
- Significant relevant clinical experience
- Substantial current speciality experience
- Evidence of recent teaching experience
- Experience of undertaking research or audit projects
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Experience and knowledge of advanced practice/protocols
- RGN.1st Level or relevant children's qualification
- Current NMC Registration
- 1st Degree in nursing or health related subject
- Relevant accredited post registration at level 3
- Qualification in Teaching and Assessing
- Evidence of master's level academic study or willingness to work towards Masters (in relevant health related subject)
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- Management qualification
- Non-Medical Prescribing
Public Sector Language CompetencyEssential
- Highly effective communication skills - verbally and written to staff, patients and relatives including in situations of conflict or distress
- Able to gain credibility with and influence colleagues including influencing clinical changes where appropriate
- Strong organisational skills - prioritising complex situations
- The ability to lead and influence change
- Demonstrates ability to implement and utilise audit data to improve quality
- Clinical expert in defined area of work
- Able to advise on and implement improvements to the quality and efficiency of care for patients
- Ability to act as facilitator, mentor and supervisor to colleagues
- Flexibility, adaptability to meet needs of a changing service
- Ability to cope with emotional issues presented in the course of work, and to support others
- Knowledge of national and local specialty specific issues
- Information technology skills
- Commitment to the development and provision of high-quality nursing care
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Be able to speak fluent English to an appropriate standard
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
Upper Maudlin St
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.