There is an exciting opportunity for a Band 6 midwife, who has special interest in working with vulnerable women and their families, to join a well-established team of midwives.
The Ruby Team of midwives provide continuity of care to vulnerable pregnant women including teenagers, women with learning disabilities, victims of domestic abuse, substance abusers, women experiencing moderate to severe mental health issues, and women with complex safeguarding issues.
You will provide antenatal and postnatal care in hospital /community clinics and women's homes.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and compassionate midwife who wishes to extend their midwifery skills in this field. You must have excellent communication and time management skills and be a proactive team player. It's vital that you have a special interest in caring for vulnerable women and have a good understanding of maternity safeguarding.
International applicants with no UK NMC registration will not be considered for this vacancy.Main duties of the job
The job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required.
Applicants are advised to read all the information on the advert and the supporting information before completing and submitting an application. As you complete your application, please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria in the person specification for this post by adequately completing the supporting information section of the application form.
All new staff appointed at the Trust are subject to a probationary period.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required.Person SpecificationQualifications and KnowledgeEssential
- Registered Midwife - eligible to practice (minimum 2 year experience)
- Experience/special interest in working with vulnerable pregnant women
- Experience/knowledge of safeguarding issues in maternity/children's setting
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Prep for Mentorship course or equivalent
- Examination of the newborn
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels across the Department and Directorate
- The ability to communicate with patients in an empathetic manner regarding their treatment and procedures.
- Can demonstrate an enthusiastic, approachable and friendly manner
- Ability communicate effectively, both written and verbal
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm towards teaching and sharing knowledge
- Understanding of own Knowledge and Skills Framework and ability to identify learning needs and interests
- Ability to self-reflect, carry out tasks of own job and identify what s/he needs to learn to able to do current job better
- Ability to take an active role in agreed learning activities and keeps a record of them
Health and Safety and SecurityEssential
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Acts in a way that is consistent with legislation, policies and procedures and abide by the Trust Health and Safety policies
- Ability to support others in maintaining health, safety and security
- Ability to identify and assess the potential risks involved in work activities and processes for self and others
- Knowledge of current and emerging NHS strategy and policy
- Ability to offer constructive suggestions for service improvement
- Effectively carries out tasks related to evaluating services when asked
- Ability to work within set timeframes working to priorities and deadlines
- Able to recognise own limits and work within those limits of competence
Equality and DiversityEssential
- Ability to monitor the quality of own work
- Ability to use and maintain resources efficiently and effectively and encourage others to do so
- Ability to treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Experience of Equal Opportunity policies and procedures
Promotion of health and well-being and prevention of adverse effects on health and well beingEssential
- Ability to recognise and take action when equality and diversity are undermined
- Ability to participate in health promotion activities to include antenatal classes/clinics
Assessment and care planning to meet health and wellbeing needsEssential
- Has worked in a variety of settings using all midwifery skills
Protection of health and wellbeingEssential
- Ability to prioritise clinical work effectively
- Can show a non-judgemental approach to patient care
- Ability to record and report back accurately and fully on patient assessments undertaken and risks identified
- Ability to identify deteriorating patients
- Able to analyse and interpret and action CTG recordings
- Able to use basic Adult and neonatal resuscitation skills
- Can demonstrate a knowledge of current and emerging health care issues
- Ability to work with others to produce detail plan to protect the health of Mother and Unborn child
Enablement to address health and wellbeing needsEssential
- Experience of caring for at risk / socially excluded patient.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to carry out essential and appropriate Midwifery care and procedures including dealing with obstetric emergencies and suturing
Barts Health NHS TrustAddress
Whipps Cross University Hospital
Whipps Cross Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.