An exciting opportunity has arisen for a band 6 midwife to join the Antenatal and Newborn Screening Team. The role involves coordinating and failsafing all 3 antenatal screening programmes (Fetal Anomaly, Infectious Diseases, Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia screening) and the Newborn Bloodspot screening programme. The screening midwives counsel screen positive people and act as an ambassador and local expert for safe screening at UHSFT.
This is a small friendly, flexible team with a strong focus on supporting service users who may encounter unexpected worries or concerns around themselves or their baby as a result of the additional information that screening can bring.
You will acquire and build upon experience in supporting non-directed conversations with our pregnant and recently birthed population. You will gain from the additional multidisciplinary relationships that working with other stakeholders in screening programmes brings - these include (but are not limited to) our Fetal Medicine, Sexual Health, Neonatal, Haematology and Laboratory colleagues.
The role involves flexible working across the working week with some weekend working when workload requires.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
What you will do:
- Support in caring for those undergoing antenatal screening and for parents of babies having Newborn Bloodspot Screening.
- Provide support with the team in failsafing the screening programmes.
- Providing practical and emotional support to our service users during their screening journey.
- Interface with the various stakeholders who provide clinical support along the pathways.
- Become a resource for supporting our multi-disciplinary colleagues and students to further their knowledge and make our screening pathways safe.
What we are looking for:
- An enthusiastic person who enjoys learning new skills in real time.
- Someone who embeds the Trust Values in every interaction with our families.
- A midwife who enjoys working collaboratively with our families and supporting their decisions.
- Calm and considered in the face of people who may be experiencing stress and distress in their pregnancy.
- A midwife who enjoys working in a collegiate environment but in a midwifery-led setting.
- A colleague who is able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service.
- oRegistered midwife on relevant part of the NMC Register oDiploma or degree in midwifery oClinical experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oMentoring qualification oTraining Education experience oInterest in Quality Improvement
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Princess Anne Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.