The digital team at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHS) have an exciting opportunity for a business analyst to join and work with us on the design and delivery of innovative clinical systems.
You will support the implementation of electronic inpatient noting across the Trust, and lead on defining user requirements for future changes to this and other digital systems.
You will be involved in the whole software development lifecycle including process mapping, user stories, software testing, clinical safety, and implementation.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of England's largest acute teaching Trusts, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on-site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed during the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesResponsibilities will include:
- Developing models of current and future processes across the hospital to support the development of digital services. Analysing and formalising the business requirements in sufficient detail so that digital teams have a full understanding of the scope of requirements, enabling system design to be undertaken- Working across different departments within the hospital to identify and develop user needs for digital services. These user needs will be in the form of user stories, functional and non-functional requirements feeding both internal development projects and external system procurement projects- Planning, writing, and executing test scripts to validate the quality of new digital systems or updates to existing digital systems- Informal and formal line management of staff including appraisals, sickness, and conduct in line with Trust policies and procedures Experience and skills required:
- Degree or post-graduate degree, or equivalent work experience- Experience in facilitating user requirements workshops- Knowledge and experience of the discovery phase for digital projects- Knowledge and experience of business analysis techniques- Confidence to present complex information to large groups of stakeholders both written and verbal- Able to work with minimal direction and quickly form working relationships with a variety of clinical and technical stakeholders- Able to demonstrate behaviours that meet the Trust Values:o Patients Firsto Always Improvingo Working Together
Core hours for the team are between 8.00 and 18.00 Monday to Friday but flexibility will be required depending on service needs.
UHS supports agile and remote working, regular attendance at Southampton General Hospital will be required in this role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree or post-graduate degree, or equivalent work experience relevant to the post
- Evidence of further professional development
knowledge and experienceEssential
- Formal or informal business analysis (ISEB, CBAP or BCS) or project management (PRINCE2, AgilePM etc) training
- Facilitation of user requirements workshops
- Knowledge and experience of discovery phase for digital projects
- Knowledge and experience of business analysis techniques
- Mapping, development and recording of complex business processes
- Development of written digital / IT system specifications, including data structures and workflows
- Development of user stories to support Agile software development
- Confidence to present complex information to large groups of stakeholders both written and verbal
- Ability to present complex processes / ideas in a simple way (user stories / workflows) to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Developing and communicating new standards / working practices
Values and behavioursEssential
- A credible knowledge of acute hospital processes, pathways, reporting and organisational structures
- Experience of working to different project management approaches (PRINCE2, Agile, Scrum, MSP)
- Understanding of digital systems within an acute hospital context (Client server applications, relational databases, digital hardware in a clinical setting)
- Experience in service improvement in healthcare
- Understanding of digital system testing and user validation testing (approach to testing, test scripts and documentation)
- Change management helping staff transition from paper based to digital processes
- User Centred Design for developing new services
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task across several projects
- Well-developed influencing skills, able to motivate and empower others
- Proficient at MS Visio, Jira suite and Verto
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Southampton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.