Would you like to join our friendly and dynamic team of SLTs in Margate, by the sea? We are looking for an energetic, self-motivated Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) for a permanent opportunity at Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital.
This is an excellent opportunity to experience multiple speciality areas including acute medical, critical care, health care of the elderly, gastroenterology, respiratory and trauma and orthopaedics in a multi-site Trust. If you are you enthusiastic, dynamic and motivated, then we would love you to come and join us at East Kent Hospitals University Foundation Trust!Main duties of the job
Are you looking to get more out of your job than you're currently getting? Do you have professional or clinical interests that you can't explore? Have you got professional goals and need the opportunity to reach them? We are looking for experienced SLTs to work with us from a range of clinical backgrounds and can offer flexible working patterns and hours. We're happy to support you in returning to practice after time off, with novel ways of working, or to carry out research.
Our SLT team has been growing in size and capacity over the last few years with new funding being agreed and team members progressing with internal promotions. We prioritise a positive workplace culture and want our staff to feel appreciated, respected and supported to reach their full potential. Senior Therapies Management have a can do attitude and we are a valued team within Therapies and the wider Organisation.About usApplications for this role should be written by the applicant. If artificial intelligence (AI) programmes are used then the application may be rejected due to this document being an important part of the assessment process. This does not prevent applicants seeking appropriate support with applications should they need to for the purposes of any declared disability.
We are one of the largest hospital trusts in England, with five hospitals and community clinics serving a local population of around 695,000 people.
Our vision is 'great healthcare from great people'. Everything we do is guided by our values: 'People feel cared for, safe, respected and confident that we are making a difference'.
We have a new way of working at East Kent Hospitals, called 'We care'. It's about empowering frontline staff to lead improvements day-to-day. We're looking for compassionate people to be part of our improvement journey for the patients, families and carers we care for every day.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please scroll down to access the full Job Description and Person Specification located in 'supporting documents'.Person SpecificationQualifications and trainingEssential
- Hold a diploma/degree in Speech and Language Therapy with appropriate HCPC registration
- Evidence of completion of post graduate RCSLT Dysphagia Competencies/or equivalent
- Registered member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT).
- Broad knowledge of a range of assessment tools relevant to the patient group, (acquired communication and swallowing disorders).
- Knowledge of national policies and procedures (relevant to acute setting).
- Evidence based knowledge of a wide variety of treatment techniques and strategies relevant adult acquired communication and swallowing disorders.
- Awareness of the principles of clinical governance/audit.
- Understanding of the roles of other professionals (relevant to role).
Clinical skills and experienceEssential
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexible and adaptable
- Independently able to manage a busy caseload.
- Independent in the field of dysphagia
- Experience within specialist area of adults with acquired communication and swallowing disorders.
- Experience of delivering training.
- Excellent interpersonal and counselling skills, including observation, listening and empathy skills.
- Highly developed negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and reflection skills.
- Developing specialist skills in the assessment and treatment of complex communication difficulties.
- High levels of verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Basic IT skills.
- Willingness and ability to be a good team player.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Good auditory discrimination skills and ability to transcribe speech phonetically
- Ability to manage difficult, complex situations and seek support if necessary
- Competencies in videofluoroscopy, FEES, tracheostomy or critical care
- Experience of working within an acute hospital setting
- Experience of videofluoroscopy/FEES
- Membership at relevant CENs
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Awareness of Trust Vision, Mission and Values
- Able to travel between sites
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital
St Peters Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.