We are delighted to invite applications for 2 senior psychologists for North Manchester adult inpatient services. Working as part of a team of 4 qualified and 3.5 assistant psychologists you will provide a clinical psychology service to the 6 adult inpatient wards North Manchester. You work closely with the unit's principal and consultant psychologists to deliver a high-quality service to the inpatient wards.
Working in these fast-paced services you will find each day exciting. Your role will include developing team formulations, completing assessments, staff training and supervision and delivery of short psychological interventions. As part of the clinical team on the wards you will work to ensure that inpatient admissions are therapeutic and recovery focused. You will oversee the work of the ward assistant psychologist in delivering group and individual sessions.
You will be joining the service at a time of great change as all inpatient wards will soon be moving to a new, purpose-built building. During this exciting time the psychology service will be at the heart of developing and delivering the clinical model for the service. With great links to the local universities you will have good CPD and research opportunities and plenty of chances to progress. We are looking for a motivated, enthusiastic individual who is committed to delivering the best possible to care to people at the time of their greatest need. Please get in touch to find out more or organise a visit.Main duties of the job
To work as an active part of the inpatient MDT to deliver a high quality and evidence based psychological service to the wards
- Work as an integral part of the inpatient multidisciplinary team
- Work with ward teams to develop team formulations
- Carry a caseload and deliver short, evidence based interventions
- Supervise assistant psychology staff and other non psychology staff delivering psychosocial interventions.
Greater Manchester Mental Health (GMMH) Foundation Trust employs over 6,400
members of staff, who deliver services from more than 160
We provide inpatient and community-based mental health care for people living in Bolton, the city of Manchester, Salford, Trafford and the borough of Wigan, and a wide range of specialist mental health and substance misuse services across Greater Manchester, the north west of England and beyond.
As a senior psychologist you will join a community of psychologists working into adult and older adult inpatient services. You will be well supported by the consultant clinical lead and work as part of a team with the inpatient psychologists across the Trust. The psychology services in GMMH have very close links with local training courses and there will be a range of CPD opportunities to support your career development.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Work as an integral part of the inpatient multidisciplinary team to support the delivery of psychological and psychologically informed ways of working.
Develop team formulations to inform care planning on the ward
Using a range of assessment tools and sources of information complete complex assessments to inform care and support discharge. Link with other services across the care pathways as needed.
Carry a small caseload deliver short, evidence-based psychological intervention, group or individual
Support the wellbeing of staff by running reflective practice sessions and supporting local debriefs after incidents
Line manage and supervise assistant psychologist to deliver structured psychological groups, wellbeing groups and structured one to ones.
Work with ward managers and senior psychology staff to develop the model of care for adult inpatient services.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Professional qualification in Clinical Psychology at doctoral level (or its equivalent for those trained prior to 1996) as accredited by the BPS
- HCPC registration as a qualified Clinical Psychologist.
- Training in one or more additional specialised areas of psychological relevance (e.g. staff training, research methodology, and / or other fields of applied psychology)
- Experience of working with a wide variety of client groups, across the life span and presenting with the full range of clinical severity across a wide range of care settings
- Experience of providing supervision and training
- Previous experience of delivering structured psychological interventions to clients with severe and complex mental health problems. Experience in risk assessment, formulation and management particularly important
- Experience in the application of cognitive-behavioural and other evidenced based approaches to people with severe and enduring mental health problems
- Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience of exercising full clinical responsibility for clients' psychological care and treatment within the context of a multidisciplinary care plan
- Personal experience of mental health problems.
- Experience of working within a multicultural framework
- Experience of running groups
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of at least two specialised psychological therapies
- Well-developed knowledge of the theory and practice of specialised psychological therapies in specific difficult to treat groups (e.g. personality disorders, dual diagnoses etc).
- Evidence of CPD as recommended by BPS & KSF
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Formal training in supervision of other psychologists
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Skills in the use of complex methods of psychological assessment, intervention and management
- Well-developed skills in the ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing,
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team and to liaise effectively with other professionals
- Ability to provide rapid psychological assessment and brief psychological interventions. Especially in the management of risk.
- Ability to teach and train others, using a variety of complex multi-media materials
Greater Manchester Mental Health NHSFTAddress
Park House, North Manchester General Hospital
Delaunays Road, Crumpsall
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.