Are you an ambitious, innovative Pharmacist looking for an exciting new challenge? Do you want to be an integral part of a thriving pharmacy team that embraces transformation and is passionate about delivering safe, personal and effective care?
If your answers are yes, we have the perfect opportunity for you to join our award-winning pharmacy team.Main duties of the job
The post holder will
- The post holder will support the dispensary manager and senior pharmacists to maintain a safe and effective clinical pharmacy service from our dispensary.
- Provide high quality pharmaceutical care to patients and their carers whilst working directly from our pharmacy dispensary.
- Be the key contact for clinical pharmacy queries at our Burnley site.
- Act as a role model in the field of clinical pharmacy and provide a consistently high level of pharmaceutical service in line with corporate objectives and government initiatives
- Support the development of the governance and medicines risk management agenda
- Support the development of agreed policies and procedures for safe medicines use, both within the department and Trust wide
- Work closely with other staff in the department to ensure the delivery of an integrated pharmacy service
- Participate in relevant sector wide forums for clinical pharmacy
- Support the implementation of a technician led dispensary service
- Audit, monitor and develop medicines management in line with Pharmacy Directorate strategy and objectives
As a band 7 pharmacist you will additionally take on a more senior role relating to managing the dispensary clinical workstreams, support the dispensary manager in the day-to-day running of the dispensary and supervise a number of pharmacy personnel, including junior pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and trainees.About us
We are a large and forward-thinking department with extended hours Acute Medical Unit team operating between 8.00am-7.00pm every day.
In June 2023 we went live with a Trust-wide electronic patient records and electronic prescribing and medicines administration.
We have a large cohort of Non-Medical Prescribers.
We have strong links with our local universities with three teacher practitioners.
We were an early-adopter site for the RPS's Transfer of Care initiative which led to the creation of the world's first fully integrated hospital to community pharmacy e-referral system: Refer-to-Pharmacy.
O ur Medicines Support Team is a domiciliary team that receives referrals from the hospital, community teams and GPs for patients requiring support with their medicines post-discharge or to help prevent admissions/re-admissions to hospital.
We have a Homecare team and specialist pharmacists within the Dermatology, Rheumatology, Cardiology and Gastroenterology directorates providing out-patient clinics.
You may also be interested to know that East Lancashire Hospitals provides onsite parking and is well connected to the motorway network, making it an easy commuting distance from Manchester and Liverpool, with many of our team hailing from these locations. The Lake District is a short drive away for leisure activities.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
See attached documents for full detailed job description.
You will act as the lead dispensary pharmacist at our Burnley site and play an active role in the day to day oversight of clinical dispensary workstreams. You will clinically screen a wide array of prescriptions for patients receiving treatment on our women's and newborn centre, elective surgery, theatres, rehabilitation wards, and infusion suite. You will support the dispensary team as the lead clinical pharmacist, supporting the dispensary manager with review of processes, clinical guidelines, training and education of junior staff working within the dispensary. You will work within the Trust's electronic patient record (ePR) and iQemo to clinically screen medicines, making pharmaceutical interventions, ensuring the most appropriate medicines are started in line with Trust formulary, ensuring effective antimicrobial stewardship, ensuring effective medicines safety, ensuring transfer of care information is captured when medicines are started, stopped and changed, ordering new medicines when necessary, and ensuring effective discharge planning takes place.
You will make sure your patients are referred to their community pharmacist for post-discharge support, or for a domiciliary visit if they are housebound, using the multi-award winning Refer-to-Pharmacy to make sure they get the best from their medicines and stay healthy at home. You will be the key point of contact for clinical advice on the Burnley pharmacy site.
You will need to be a motivated individual with excellent communication skills and the ability to work under pressure, in order to provide excellent patient care and deliver the Trusts Medicines Optimisation strategy.
You may also be interested to know that East Lancashire Hospitals provides onsite parking and is well connected to the motorway network, making it an easy commuting distance from Manchester and Liverpool, with many of our team hailing from these locations
Additional contact information
If you would like any further information, or would like to arrange a visit, please contact:
- Emma Watson (Divisional Lead Pharmacist Surgery & Family Care) firstname.lastname@example.org 01254 734545
- Hannah Robinson (Divisional Lead Pharmacist Medicine & Community Services) Hannah.email@example.com 01254 733740
- Zoe Molloy (Senior Pharmacy Technician) firstname.lastname@example.org 01282 804303
- MPharm Degree (4 years) or equivalent
- Member GPhC
- Postgraduate Certificate or equivalent
- UKCPA membership
- Postgraduate Diploma or equivalent
- Understanding of local and national NHS and Pharmaceutical Policy
- Understanding of medicines legislation and guidance i.e. Medicines Act, Misuse of Drugs Act, Safe and Secure Handling of Medicines, Medicine Guidance Notes, MHRA Alerts
- Understanding of clinical and risk management guidance as applied to Medicines Management
- Broad range of understanding of clinical practice and knowledge of medical conditions
- General knowledge of NHS developments including primary and secondary care
- Understanding of clinical governance principles
- Knowledge of external agencies concerned with patient safety NHSLA, NPSA, NPC
- Evidence of contribution to local/ national specialist networks
- Advanced practice in one or more relevant areas
- Experience of leading pharmacy services in primary or secondary care
- Advanced clinical pharmacy experience and practice
- Supervisory management of a team
- Ability to deal with complex clinical issues
- Reports to committees
- Multidisciplinary working with medical and nursing staff
- Experience of participation in local/ national service development
- Experience in dispensary management
- Demonstrates clear thinking and able to analyse highly complex problems of an ethical, pharmaceutical, or clinical nature
- Makes sound decisions with limited information
- Intuition - anticipate difficulties and take appropriate action
- Knows when to consult (own limitations)
- Reflects on own practice and learns from experience
- Able to identify, prioritise and evaluate work
- Evidence of shared practice with wider team/ network
- Good verbal and written communication
- Courteous with all customers both internal and external including members of the public and other healthcare professionals
- Able to communicate highly complex information of a clinical nature
- Ability to influence senior Pharmacy and hospital staff and other people
- Contribution to local/ national policy
- Has vision and imagination, initiative, creativity, able to see beyond barriers
- Supportive and motivational
- Can balance strong leadership and working within a team
- Prioritises and meets deadlines
- Mature in approach and has professional credibility
- Able to be seen as a role model - reliable fair and balanced
- Systematic approach
- Energetic and can enthuse, 'can-do' approach
- Calm under pressure
- Thrives on change
- Excellent numeric and verbal skills
- Contributes to promotion of equality and diversity in the workforce
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Flexibility in working hours
- Has advanced keyboard skills
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Royal Blackburn Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.