Applications are invited for a Consultant Psychiatrist for Adults with Intellectual Disability, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Service: IDD West (Mansfield).
This is a 5-PA post in Intellectual Disability Psychiatry. The Consultant is employed by Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and will join the 7 other NHS Consultants in the ID service. This is a replacement post following retirement of the previous post-holder.Main duties of the job
The post-holder is expected to consult the multidisciplinary team to offer psychiatric expertise and direct involvement in the areas of: assessment and diagnosis, formulation, pharmacological treatments, use of the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act, and the management of complex and/or risky presentations and severe symptomatology.
Regular peer supervision is available with the experienced and supportive Consultant group and is encouraged.About us
This job (Mansfield) forms part of the reconfigured Community IDD West team, along with Ashfield. The consultant psychiatrists in Mansfield and Ashfield currently retain their respective caseloads.
Mansfield district consists of mostly urban and sub-urban areas and has an estimated population of 110,500 in 2021. In addition to the town of Mansfield, the district comprises of settlements including Mansfield Woodhouse, Forest Town, and Market Warsop.The social care input is by social workers part of Living Well team in Mansfield. Additionally the community nurses and other health professionals work with patients who have a diagnosis of mild intellectual disability and complex needs who may not meet the criteria for a service from social care.
The team provides specialist input for adults with intellectual disability of all severity associated with a range of other diagnoses and conditions including autism, ADHD, challenging behaviour, mental illness, epilepsy, dementia, etc. The post-holder will provide consultant psychiatry input via clinics at Highbury Hospital and domiciliary visits.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To be based at Portland Street, Ashfield and at Highbury Hospital, Nottingham as per timetable and job plan. To provide outpatient services based at Portland Street, Ashfield and Highbury Hospital, Nottingham and in other community settings as agreed. To be a member of the Community ID Team and to work closely with other team members to provide a high quality service. To provide expert Intellectual Disabilities advice to other secondary healthcare colleagues and partner agencies. To make a significant contribution to the Intellectual Disabilities clinical service, providing advice on future development and planning of the services To manage, appraise and give professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the medical director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel policies and procedures. This may include assessing competences under the Modernising Medical Careers framework.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- MRCPsych with experience of working/ training in intellectual disability services or equivalent experience
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
Academic Skills & Lifelong LearningEssential
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement
- Participated in continuous professional development
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.