Children's Staff Nurse Department - Children's Emergency Department (CED) Band 5 Hours: 37.5h per week, all MKUH roles will be considered for flexible working
Our Emergency Department sees in excess of 87,000 patients per annum and is a designated Level 2 Trauma Centre. The Children's Emergency Department (CED) sees 25,000 children per year and has a dedicated facility and pathway for children attending the ED which is open 24/7 and is staffed by Paediatric trained staff.
We require Band 5 nurses to join our team in CED with an expectation that you will be an enthusiastic and self-motivated nurse. Your role will be a team player within the Emergency Department (ED) to provide dynamic, high quality nursing care to the diverse population of Milton Keynes who attend our busy unit within this University Hospital.
In return we can offer excellent clinical and academic opportunities with support from our senior leadership team and Practice Development Nurse and from a Trust that is committed to the ongoing personal and professional development of every member of its nursing staff. Interview date: Week commencing 30/10/2023Main duties of the job
To provide a high standard of individualised children's nursing care in accordance with agreed policies, through assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care for individual patients and families. To be responsible for ensuring patient care and safety are evaluated whilst on duty. To demonstrate clinical expertise in paediatric emergency care. To supervise and teach qualified and unqualified staff in the department environment. To ensure that all lines of communication are identified and used effectively. SERVICE MANAGEMENT
- To assist, when necessary, with the definition of nursing standards and maintain the provision and effectiveness of those standards.
- To assist in the management of patient flow within the department to ensure that patients care is managed in a safe and timely manner.
- To assist the senior team/operational team in achieving the Emergency Access targets.
- The post-holder will ensure that are aware of all issues relating to Clinical Governance, Quality Assurance and Clinic Effectiveness and that they carry out their duties in accordance with these frameworks and standard.
- To assist, when necessary, with the initiation and evaluation of any projects or research appropriate to the services provided within the department.
- To assist the CED Sister/Charge Nurse to set objectives for self-evaluating any change and helping to initiate same.
You can expect a warm welcome at Milton Keynes University Hospital, our staff are friendly and welcoming. We listen to each other and work together to embed our Trusts values and behaviours. At MKUH we appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including:
- Free on-site parking
- Free tea and coffee
- Great flexible workingopportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Lease car scheme
- Generous annual leave and pension scheme
- On site nursery (chargeable)
- Extensive staff health and well-being programme
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital we conduct research and teaching on site to improve the care of our patients. The hospital is undergoing significant investment, and we are proud to be rated good by the CQC. Visit our website to catch up on our latest news.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesClinical
- To promote all aspects of family centred care, maximise parental contribution and provide support during challenging situations.
- To assess, plan, implement and evaluate child/family centred care with consideration of individual ethnic, cultural, social, developmental and religious needs.
- To initiate and monitor the implementation of evidence-based practice in collaboration with other staff.
- To ensure practices are research/evidence based and to maintain/advance own clinical competence.
- Coordinate discharge planning, assessing patient and family needs on admission, document appropriate information and liaising with appropriate personnel as required.
Please refer to the job description for further details.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential Desirable
- To provide leadership, support and supervision to junior colleagues.
- To maintain effective communication and to ensure close liaison with multidisciplinary staff.
- To plan patient care according to resources available.
- To assist with the investigation of complaints and incidents in accordance with the Trusts complaint procedure.
- To ensure that all equipment is in good working order and ready for immediate use. Report any defective equipment or provision of supplies to Sister/Charge Nurse or deputy.
- BLS / ILS / PILS / EPLS
- HDU module or equivalent
- Practice assessor training
- Understanding of NMC Code of Conduct
- Knowledge of current ED / Nursing Issues
- Knowledge of Scope of professional practice
- Understanding of holistic family centred care
- Ability to recognise own limitations
- Able to communicate concerns in a timely manner
- Knowledge of child protection issues
Personal and people developmentEssential
- Understanding of pressures and targets within emergency care
- Acute paediatric experience in the NHS
- Articulate. Decisive, Assertive, Innovative, Calm, Motivated.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
- Team player
- Planning skills
- Prioritising skills
- Punctual, good attendance record
- Ability to synthesise complex information
- Ability to maintain concentration under stressful conditions.
- Ability to recognise, report and diffuse conflict situations.
- Ability to work within a high turnover, pressurised environment on a daily basis.
- Professional approach
- Good documentation and record keeping
- Up to date clinical skills
- Ability to calculate drug dosage
- Extended skills in relation to A& E Practice
- Use of eCare
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to perform the duties of the post with reasonable aids and adaptations
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
A& E Nursing (Dept)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.