The role of the Health & Safety Fire Safety Officer at East Lancashire Hospitals Trust is an essential role to ensure the safety of our staff, patients, contractors and visitors across all of our hospital sites.
The post holder will be responsible for:
Providing expert advice on the application and interpretation of fire legislation and the technical aspects of fire safety guidance, including Firecode.
- Developing and conducting the Trust's Fire Safety training through multiple training channels.
- Investigating, recording and reporting on all fire incidents and false alarms.
- Carrying out, recording and reporting on fire safety inspections, audits and fire risk assessments.
- Liaison with managers and staff, PFI partners, enforcing authorities and other NHS organisations to ensure fire safety is managed effectively.
- The management, implementation and monitoring of the fire safety policy, strategy and any associated policies and procedures.
The role is responsible for the development, implementation and day to day delivery of the fire safety within the trust to ensure compliance with legislation, guidance and set standards, as well as carrying out other relevant Health and Safety related tasks as may be required. Previous applicants need not apply.Main duties of the job Provide expert advice to the Trust on the application and interpretation of fire safety legislation to enable management to fulfil its responsibility for ensuring the Trust meets its statutory obligations namely, eliminating or reducing the risk from fire to as low as is reasonably practicable. Identify and assess the risk from fire in accordance with Firecode and other technical guidance for healthcare premises. Carry out fire safety audits. Assist with the review and provide technical input as needed for the development and implementation of Trust policies related to fire safety. Carrying out fire risk assessments and dissemination as appropriate to staff with fire safety management responsibilities. Produce investigation reports and disseminate as appropriate. Liaise with enforcing authorities, appropriate Trust staff, contractors and PFI partners on technical fire safety issues in new and existing premises. Liaise with contractors working on Trust premises to ensure, that agreed procedures are complied with and effective steps taken to ensure their activities do not compromise general fire precautions. Review, amend and maintain as necessary the Trust Fire Policy and Fire Safety Procedure Notes. Submit for ratification through accepted channels and assist with its dissemination and implementation. Advise all levels of the Trust on fire safety obligations in accordance with legislation, generally accepted guidance and Codes of Practice. About us
At East Lancashire Hospitals Trust, our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care.This is an exciting opportunity for a Fire Safety Advisor to join the Health & Safety Team on a fixed term to support the team in providing the Trust with contractual compliance with fire safety statutory requirements and defect remediation across all Trust PFI sites. The position will be based at the Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital with travel to all other Trust sites.You will work closely with the existing Fire Safety Advisor, other Health & Safety colleagues and the Estates Team. You will work as an integral part of the team and will assist with the management of Project Co and all third-party specialist consultants on the Passive Fire Protection (PFP) programme to achieve the deadlines set by Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service (LFRS).Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Participate in relevant internal and external working groups/projects, service initiatives, to provide information and analytical advice andexpertise.
Develop and implement data collection systems that will provide accurate and timely data relevant to your services.
Present information and issues, explaining highly complex issues, to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. Provide coordination of and participate in relevant internal and external working groups and provide project advice, expertise andsupport where requested. Provide relevant and timely specialist advice and guidance for administration services. Work with other members of the team to investigate the causes of any variance from target plans and proactively contribute to theimplementation of solutions. Management of risk and issues within your scope of responsibility and providing proactive resolution and escalation. Provide monthly reporting on the targeting of resources and monitoring their implementation from a value for money perspective.Developing cost Improvement schemes to improve productivity and efficiency. Own the management information of the service and use it to influence and reinforce business cases, service developments andefficiencies. Devise and provide improvements to current management information, analysing, reporting and suggesting procedures to enhance thedecision making process.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- oMembership of appropriate professional organisation e.g., Institute of Fire Engineers (IFE), Institute of Fire Prevention Officers (IFPO) etc.
- oDegree in fire safety / fire engineering or relevant experience in fire safety.
- oTeaching certificate of experience of preparing and delivering training courses to multiple people at all levels.
- oEvidence of continuing professional development.
- oCorporate membership of professional organisation such as Institute of Fire Engineers, Institute of Occupational Safety and Health etc.
- oProfessional qualification in a fire related subject e.g., Confederation of Fire Protection Associations Europe (CFPA) Diploma, Institute of Occupational Health and Safety Diploma or relevant experience
- oExtensive experience of fire engineering or fire safety.
- oExperience of advising on current statutory standard and specification requirements to enforcing authorities.
- oExperience of developing and implementing policies.
Knowledge and SkillsEssential
- oExtensive experience of healthcare fire safety.
- oExperience of delivering fire safety training.
- oExperience of providing fire safety advice.
- Fire safety risk assessment
- Fire related codes of practice
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Able to work on and manage multiple projects and deliver to timescales.
- Basic keyboard and IT skills.
- Firecode suite of documents.
- European Computer Driving License (ECDL) qualification or equivalent.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Current UK driving license and access to vehicle
- Flexible approach to hours of work and willing to work across sites.
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.