We are looking for emergency nurse/care practitioners who are able to provide autonomous, highly specialised clinical care to patients attending with emergency and urgent illness and injuries across our three urgent treatment centres based at Northwick Park, Ealing and Central Middlesex Hospitals. You will need to demonstrate skills in assessment, examination, diagnostic interpretation and treatment. You will be required to provide health education to patients and their carers as well as initiate referrals to other specialists and provide follow up care as clinically required. You will be expected to maintain accurate patient records and documentation. Working as part of a wider multidisciplinary team within emergency and urgent care you will be an important resource for staff by providing clinical leadership and supervision/support of more junior staff. You will also form key working relationships with colleagues in emergency care as well as other same day emergency care services to include medical SDEC and surgical assessment unit in order that patients have a positive patient experience and seamless journey.
You will be supported in your role by a Lead Nurse and a Practice Development Nurse. We are very committed to providing high quality safe and effective care to our patients and we are also invested in the wellbeing and career progression of all staff joining our team.Main duties of the job
To work autonomously in the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and discharge of patients attending for emergency and urgent care needs including illness and injuries within one's own level of competence and within agreed protocols.
Take part in our enhanced streaming model to ensure all patients attending emergency and urgent care are seen by the right clinician in the right place at the right time.
To provide health education to patients and their carers.
Make referrals to other specialities and teams where clinically appropriate.
Act as a role model to junior staff and take an active role in leadership and supporting junior staff.
Take part in clinical audits , clinical research and service improvement projects.
Attend multidisciplinary meetings when required.About us
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond.
Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A& E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We are a university teaching NHS trust, in recognition of the important role we play in training clinicians of the future and bringing the benefits of research to the public.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To view the main responsibility, please see the attached the Job Description and Person Specification.Person SpecificationEducation and QualificationsEssential
- First level registration or paramedic
- A33 Autonomous Practitioner qualification or equivalent studies at Level 6/7
- Basic life support
- Minor illness/Minor injury Course
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Non Medical Prescriber (Independent and Supplementary Prescribing)
- Experience working in Emergency/Urgent Care
- Good clinical reasoning and decision making skills
- Evidence of keeping up to date with NICE guidelines particularly in urgent care
Skills, Abilities and AttributesEssential
- Evidence of audit or research experience
- Assertive, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the service
- Leadership and management skills
- IT skills to enable accurate, contemporaneous recording of consultations
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to challenge practice as appropriate
London North West University Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.