An exciting opportunity has arisen at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust (GOSH) for the position of Head of Catering.
The post holder will lead on all catering matters at GOSH to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of all patients, staff and visitor catering services. This role forms part of the senior facilities management team and will be expected to be involved in managing all catering functions across the entire GOSH site. The service is operated in-house and a delivers a fresh cook service to its patient, visitors & staff. The post will ensure the patient catering service meets the wide range of nutritional and dietary needs to our children. The catering service a high profile and value service and was shortlisted for the Team Award as the 2023 Annual GOSH Awards.
The successful candidate will have good communication skills and possess the ability to work on their own initiative. Whilst desirable, it is not essential that applicants have experience in working in a Healthcare environment.Main duties of the job
- To lead and manage all catering services at GOSH.
- Ensure, through sound fiscal management, that services are delivered within tight budgetary control and the requirements of the Trust in line with Government initiatives, Trust objectives and financial efficiency targets.
- The post holder will form part of the senior facilities management team and will be expected to be involved in managing catering functions across the entire GOSH site
- Be responsible for the development of Patient and Retail Catering operations.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the Trusts environment is safe for patients & staff.
- Be the lead for food hygiene - compliance and assurance
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the operational clinical teams.
- Deliver a compliant and value for money service for all areas within your control.
- Subject matter expert relating to catering/food etc
- Be the service lead for the development of the service and any related catering projects within the organisation
- Be an ambassador for the Catering Services and wider Space and Place Directorate
GOSH is committed to recruiting the best person for the job, based solely on their ability and individual merit as measured against the criteria for the role through a process that is fair, open, consistent and free from bias and discrimination.
We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer and foster a culture where all staff are valued, respected and acknowledged. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability status or length of time spent unemployed.
We particularly welcome applications from BAME communities, people with disabilities and/or long-term health conditions and LGBT+ community members.
We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants and employees are treated fairly and consistently. We are proud to be accredited as a Disability Confident Employer, a member of Business Disability Forum and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
We have active and Executive supported BAME, LGBT+ and Allies, Disability and Long-Term Health Conditions and Women's staff networks. Staff networks are employee-led groups formed around interests, issues and a common bond or background. Staff network members create a positive and inclusive work environment at Great Ormond Street Hospital by actively contributing to the Trust's mission, values and efforts specific to inclusion. All of our staff networks are open to any employee.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience, and knowledge required. For both documents please view the attachment/s below.Person SpecificationCulture and ValuesEssential
- Our Always values: Always welcoming | Always helpful | Always expert | Always one team
- Knowledge and understanding of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Understanding of Diversity and Inclusion challenges in the workplace
- Demonstrable contribution to advancing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace
- Educated to degree level or equivalent work experience.
- Higher National Diploma in Hotel Catering and Institutional Management or similar.
- Level 3 Certificate in Food Safety.
- Detailed Health and Safety knowledge for the operation of a facilities service.
- Level 2 Award in Identifying and Controlling Food Allergy Risks.
- Level 2 Award in Healthy Food and Special Diets.
- FDQ (Food and Drink Qualification) Auditing Skills Course.
- Minimum 5 years senior catering management experience within an NHS or private sector environment, managing large teams.
- Significant catering operational management experience.
- Experience of setting up monitoring and negotiating contracts to achieve levels and quality of service in line with customer requirements.
- Service and Business Planning experience.
- Experience on organisational change and service development.
- Must have clear ideas on how to improve customer satisfaction and raise service profile.
- A good understanding of NHS strategy and policy.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience in Risk Management and Governance issues.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective negotiator to achieve required outcomes in a complex environment.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage change.
- Ability to achieve results through people not directly managed.
- Ability to act as both a team leader and team player.
- Strategic thinking and strong management skills.
- Able to work under pressure and to balance competing priorities.
- Ability to deliver service improvements, innovation and find new ways of working.
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Great Ormond Street
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.